1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 24, 2010 6:16 PM by TrishaJ
Michael Kay Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
Having had Aperture 3 crash three times during the updating of my photo library as I updated from A2 to A3, I checked out these forums to find a lot of people having the same problem. Hopefully I have found a solution - well it worked for me anyway:

Switch off your screensaver (System Preferences/Desktop & Screen Saver/Set to Flurry and set to never)
Switch Sleep off (System Preferences/Energy Saver/Set Computer Sleep AND Display Sleep to never)

Restart Computer
Repair Permissions and Verify HD using Disk Utility - always a sensible precaution, but no problems found

Open Aperture holding down the CMD and Option keys - this opens Aperture Library First Aid
Select Repair Database and Repair it (only took about 1 minute)
As soon as Aperture opens, open Preferences and deselect 'Enable Faces'
Then open the Activity window straight away (Window/Show Activity)
Aperture then spent just over an hour 'Processing Photos' (mine had 148 tasks here)
Don't do anything whilst it does this - just walk away!

When it had finished (Activity window empty), I closed the Activity Window and Quit Aperture
Open Aperture again holding down the CMD and Option keys
Repair the Database again (might not be necessary but can't do any harm)
Quit Aperture
Open it again holding down the CMD and Option keys
Select Repair permissions from the First Aid menu and do this
When Aperture opens again, open the Activity window
Open preferences and select 'Enable Faces'
The Activity window show the progress - it took about 2 hours for 3000 photos
Once this had finished, I Quit Aperture and opened it again doing another Database repair (perhaps not necessary but still) and all was well.

Reset your Screen Saver and Sleep preferences.

The problem seems to me to be that Aperture uses the whole of the available RAM, not even leaving enough for the screensaver/mouse and this is very processor intensive - though once the library is updated, all should be fine after this!

I hope!

Note: DO NOT try and do anything else whilst these processes are running, except reading a newspaper, making a coffee, etc.

iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Apple Magic Mouse and Wired Aluminium Keyboard
  • TrishaJ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have been having the same issue updating my A2 library. Updating the library took nearly 24 hrs to get to 6% complete TWICE and then crashed

Today I uninstalled Aperture, repaired permissions, and reinstalled Aperture (Version 3.0.1) by downloading it (used the upgrade disk the 1st time). I also made sure the toggle switch to update my old images using Aperture 3 imaging was toggled OFF.

So far so good, with the library upgrade 30% complete in the past four hours! Much better than I was expecting given my 500+ GB Aperture Library and relatively slow iMac (only 2 GB of RAM).

I'm not sure which step did the trick, I suspect it was the 3.0.1 update. Hope this can help someone else escape from Aperture purgatory!!

Trisha