Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 - They screwed up an Import Command!

It boggles my mind why the Apple engineers would choose to make a change in the way an import command worked for YEARS under Aperture 2, but they've done it! Here's the message I just sent to Aperture Feedback:

Why did you change the way "Import/Folders As Projects" works??

I've been an Aperture user for years. One of the things I loved about the program is it lets ME be in control of how I organize my photos. For years, I've been using Aperture's "Import/Folders As Projects" command to automatically create Albums (that match an existing subfolder name in Finder) within existing projects. Now, under Aperture 3, the command doesn't work that way anymore! Here's how it has changed...

Under Aperture 2 the command worked two ways:

1) If I HIGHLIGHT (single click) on "Library" or "Projects & Albums" and then select Import/Folders As Projects, and then pick a folder full of photos, Aperture 2 would created a PROJECT with the exact same name as the folder I picked and import the photos into the new project.

2) If I were to, instead, HIGHLIGHT (single click) on an EXISTING project name in the Inspector, and then select Import/Folders As Projects, and pick a folder full of photos, Aperture 2 would created a new ALBUM within the EXISTING project name. That new Album's name would exactly match the name of the original folder that I picked (the one with the photos in it).

Under Aperture 3, it doesn't matter what I click on or highlight, Aperture 3 will ONLY work with method #1 above. Aperture 3 will ONLY allow you to create a new PROJECT, regardless if you've highlighted an EXISTING project or not.

WHY DID APPLE CHANGE THIS?

This change completely screws up the way I've been cataloging my photos for years. Now, to continue to properly recreate the same hierarchical Project/Album arrangement that matches the Folder/Subfolder organization on my dedicated hard drive for photos, I have to MANUALLY create a new Album (one at a time), name it, and then manually import just a single subfolder's worth of photos into it. I have to do this manually for EACH subfolder of photos as I add new subfolders of photos to my dedicated photo drive.

Using #2 above (in Aperture 2), I could have two dozen subfolders on my dedicated photo drive and import them ALL with one single command and Aperture 2 would automatically create Album's that matched the subfolder names.

Needless to say, I used the feature a LOT. I would sometimes shoot a full MONTH worth of photos before I would import them into Aperture. I'd have as many as 30 subfolders to import as Albums. Now, I have to do each one manually one at a time.

This is VERY annoying! It boggles my mind why the engineers decided to change it! I realize the command says "Folders As PROJECTS" but, from day one (of Aperture 2), it worked the way I describe above. In fact, I learned about this feature at one of the Aperture 2 Tour Seminars.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP! This is serious enough that it should warrant an immediate bug fix update. Without a fix, Apple has just created a dramatic amount of extra work for me when I have a multi-day shoot!

HELP!!!!

Mark

32GB iPhone 3GS, Mac Pro 2.6, MB Pro 2.2, Aluminum iMac 2.4, Mini 2.0 Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 5:34 PM

68 replies

Feb 15, 2010 9:44 AM in response to rwboyer

Thanks RB! I appreciate anything you can do that might help. But I'm skeptical that you'll have success. I spent a couple of hours trying different ways to work the Import command to try to come close to the functionality I describe in #2 in my first message. No such luck.

And, FWIW, I found another bug. I had to go ahead and manually create new Albums and import subfolders of photos individually. After I had manually created the first new Album, I clicked the Import Icon above the Inspector (on the left side). However, when I navigated to the subfolder that I wanted to import from, Aperture 3 didn't show ANY available photos in the subfolder. There was nothing to import, despite the fact that the subfolder had over 200 photos.

When I instead used the Files/Import/Files... menu selection, THEN it showed all of my photos.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get any photos to show up if I used the Import ICON (button).

Mark

Feb 15, 2010 10:38 AM in response to Mark Booth2

Hey Mark,

I was really surprised at this change also, as there was no warning, and you are right. It is a complete departure from Aperture 2.

However, I was toying around in Aperture's Preferences this morning, and I noticed a setting that I think will save us both some grief. If you open up preferences, and then click on the import window, you will see a little selection window for the 'Default Import Location'. Change that selection from 'New Project' to 'Selected Item' and I think you're good to go.

Hope it helps!

- Andrew V.

Feb 16, 2010 11:06 AM in response to Andrew_V

I've changing the preference setting and it doesn't seem to work. Too bad because, as in Mark's case, this will screwup my workflow bigtime. One of the main parts of my job is to catalog sports photography and I usually am importing from CDs for each game with 15-20 different folders containing images. In AP2 I used to be able to drag and drop all these folders from the finder into an existing project and it would automatically create albums for each folder. Very easy to keyword and organize quickly. In AP3, they all import into the project as a combined group of images, with NO albums. This has to be a bug right??

Feb 16, 2010 12:43 PM in response to 141FD

I was at an Aperture press briefing this afternoon and raised this issue with the gentleman from the development team (I think he was quite senior) he was surprised to hear of this omission and has asked me to email the problem to him via the person who arranged the press briefing - I am fairly optimistic that the problem will be resolved.

Feb 17, 2010 1:29 AM in response to Mark Booth2

Please, please say it ain't so.

I always "import files INTO project" in Aperture and have been doing so for years.

Now the same keyboard shortcut reads "import as projects"

I don't want every import to be a new project. I have ongoing projects that span years.

This has got to be changed. Give me back my option to automatically "import folders INTO projects"

Feb 17, 2010 2:01 AM in response to Mark Booth2

As a first effort I may have found a potential solution. It seems to have worked once, not sure if it's good. Please let me know what you think.

1. Import a folder as a project
2. Create new album within the new project
3. Put all photos into the new album
4. Merge the new project with a prior project that is essentially the main project folder

It sure is a pain. Aperture 2 was way more elegant. Amazing that it has come to this.

All my photos are elegantly organized in A2 with folders. I read somewhere that these folders will not import over to A3, which really gets my blood boiling. Hope it's not true.

Does this system make sense to anyone out there?

Feb 17, 2010 2:44 AM in response to Marcus Grandon1

Hi,
Not sure if I understand you entirely, but I think you can achieve the desired result by selecting all the photos in the folder and importing them to wherever you want.

For example, I use a project called Imports Holding Pen, that I use to sort, rate etc before dragging them to the intended project. The import command always points to that project, but I could nominate another project to import them into if I wanted.

Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree, as I never used the menu command for importing in A2, only the media-triggered method or the import button.

All my folders and projects imported to A3 fine. I gather you mean that your projects are organised into folders, as folders don't actually contain photos?

Regards,
Calx

Feb 17, 2010 11:52 PM in response to Sliney

Sliney wrote:
Calx, getting photos imported is not the problem - its the way they are organized after import that is completely different than A2. If you import multiple folders of images from the finder, each one turns into a project, instead of albums.

EXACTLY!! It is VERY common for me to import 6 or 12 or even 25 different folders of images all at once. Under Aperture 2, I could select all those different folders at the same time and import them all at once and it would result in matching ALBUMS for each folder. Under Aperture 3, the ONLY option using the same command is to import them as matching PROJECTS. That totally screws up my folder/subfolder = project/album organization.

Mark

Feb 17, 2010 11:54 PM in response to cwog

cwog wrote:
I was at an Aperture press briefing this afternoon and raised this issue with the gentleman from the development team (I think he was quite senior) he was surprised to hear of this omission and has asked me to email the problem to him via the person who arranged the press briefing - I am fairly optimistic that the problem will be resolved.

Thank you!! I'm hoping the E-mail I sent to Steve Jobs will also convince the development team to get this one fixed.

If you haven't E-mailed them yet, please feel free to send them a link to this thread!

Thanks again!

Mark

Feb 19, 2010 8:38 AM in response to cwog

cwog wrote:

if you go
File - Import - Folders as Projects
you get the same function as in Aperture 2

If you go via the Import icon on the Tool bar you get the result discussed above.

Yes but neither one of these methods results in what we are talking about, which is to have Aperture automatically create ALBUMS (not PROJECTS) using the names of the Finder folders you are importing from. This was easily done in A2, but currently in A3 you have to manually create each album which is a major bummer.

Aperture 3 - They screwed up an Import Command!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.