Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie 09

My curent hard drive is full and I need to move some of my movies off to relive the hard drive where is the best place to store them? I have a time machine disk will it all stay there if I eliminate them off my hard drive?

IMAC, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 5:01 PM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2010 8:29 AM in response to maurer77

I have a time machine disk will it all stay there if I eliminate them off my hard drive?

Time Machine is excellent for maintaing a back-up of the current contents of a hard drive.

However, it's not intended as a means of archiving files you wish to remove from the drive you're backing up with Time Machine. That's because, over time, when Time Machine needs disk space it will delete older files that are no longer on the drive you're backing up.

A better way to archive is either to another external drive or burnt to data DVDs.

You can also archive files to the disk you are using for your Time Machine backup simply by dragging them there. The Time Machine back up system will simply ignore them. The only down side is that there is less space for Time Machine to use for its backup.

Matt

Feb 15, 2010 12:13 PM in response to maurer77

You will need an external drive that is formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled). You can move to the external drive, but must do it from within iMovie to maintain the links to your projects.
In iMovie, click VIEW/EVENTS BY DISK. You should now see your properly formatted disks in the event library list. Hold down the command key while dragging the event icon to the icon for the external drive in the Event Library List.

If this is not clear, this is all in iMovie Help, with pictures.

imovie 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.