Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 works fine for me

I just wanted to post another sound here on A3. Aperture 3 works absolutely fine for me. It didn't crash one time here. I run it on my iMac 3,06 GHz with 4GB RAM. Imported my 150GB A2 library. Works like a charm. Brushes, presets, lovely. But I don't use F+P, so I turned them off. Aperture 2 was a lot more buggier and slower on my machine. I love Aperture 3!

Imac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 4:40 AM

35 replies

Feb 15, 2010 4:50 AM in response to melkbus

melkbus wrote:
I just wanted to post another sound here on A3. Aperture 3 works absolutely fine for me.

That's good for you.
I have just problems with a new test library and Aperture 3.
- A3 doesn’t apply the raw fine tuning preset I’ve chosen as standard on import
- A3 uses the wrong names for GPS waypoints
- A3 sometimes doesn’t apply the moire/noise reduction in raw conversion for the preview images
- Places uses the Name of a near by city if I place use an embedded GPS location, it uses the right city if I manually create a new place by searching for the place with google
- chromatic aberration reduction doesn’t seem to work correctly. I have to compare the A3 images to the versions made with A2 to be sure, but I get the impression that A3 almost applies no chromatic aberration correction at all (might be the problem with the moire adjustments in raw fine tuning).

Aperture 3 has so many good new features and I really want to use it, but currently Aperture 3 is just to buggy to use it as the main image management tool for me.

Feb 15, 2010 4:51 AM in response to melkbus

Me too. Some slight graphical bugs but really great for a x.0 release. I'm extremely impressed with the speed (64bit) and the new features are promising. Almost all of my A2 complaints have been answered (just wanted better built-in exporting like ftp and burning- no thanks for the Facebook and Flickr propriety).

It's good to have a positive thread to balance things out. Most people who post are only coming here to report a problem, many with terrible attitudes. I think the majority are not having problems (not to make light of the problems, but they will be fixed soon for certain).

Feb 15, 2010 5:05 AM in response to robogobo

Most people who post are only coming here to report a problem, many with terrible attitudes.

The problem is that there are some horrendous bugs in this program - *such as non-functioning help* - that are totally inexcusable. This is compounded by the lack of effective technical support. Ever tried reporting a bug to Apple? Ever got any response whatsoever?

Ideally, Apple would provide an effective support system, using quick, courteous and efficient e-mail support (rather than tedious telephone queuing systems). This would allow them to assess bugs and general feedback - and understand their customers better.

In the absence of effective support, it's not surprising that people will moan on forums such as these.

Feb 15, 2010 5:34 AM in response to Fast Jag

I Authorized the Trial version and let it migrate my 25,000 CR2 and NEF
files overnight with all options set to default...

I had no problems with the install and migration (other than it took appx. 24hrs straight!)

Since then Aperture crashes every now and again but usually when I am testing
a plugin...

All, in all, could be better, could be worse... 🙂

Feb 15, 2010 5:45 AM in response to Fast Jag

Help is working fine for me. And for many others. Those with issues are the exception, mind you. Otherwise you'd see a lot more than 50 people complaining on the forums.

And there's a great support system. Not only are there hundreds of people here on the Forums willing to help you, but right in the Aperture Help menu there's a link to Support, where you'll find an amazing amount of resources including documentation, feedback and Applecare. You can use telephone, email or webforms to correspond.

I mean, what more do you want?

here are links in case you can't find them.

http://www.apple.com/support/aperture/
http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html
http://www.apple.com/support/products/

Feb 15, 2010 6:15 AM in response to Fast Jag

Fast Jag wrote:
The problem is that there are some horrendous bugs in this program - *such as non-functioning help* - that are totally inexcusable.

The App is less than a week old. Be realistic. Also, help works fine if one understands how to use it and how to do a search.

This is compounded by the lack of effective technical support. Ever tried reporting a bug to Apple? Ever got any response whatsoever?

Do you really expect a personal response to every bug report? Do you have any idea what kind of resources that would require? Again, Be realistic.

Ideally, Apple would provide an effective support system, using quick, courteous and efficient e-mail support (rather than tedious telephone queuing systems). This would allow them to assess bugs and general feedback - and understand their customers better.

The fact is that Apple is consistently rated #1 in customer service by such partisan publications as PC magazine.

In the absence of effective support, it's not surprising that people will moan on forums such as these.

For every complaint here there are 1000 users that don't even come here because they don't have a problem. For the most part people only come here when they have a problem so it's a bit weighted to the negative.

My advice is don't buy version X.0 of any software unless you want be part of the debugging process. That's how it works- with ANY software developer.

DLS

Feb 15, 2010 6:50 AM in response to DLScreative

Do you really expect a personal response to every bug report? Do you have any idea what kind of resources that would require? Again, Be realistic.

Yes, actually, I do. I expect e-mail based technical support to registered customers. My own company provides this to a large, international customer base and, yes, it does require resources, but if we can do it, Apple can.

Feb 15, 2010 6:56 AM in response to Tian Krauss

Tian Krauss wrote:
- chromatic aberration reduction doesn’t seem to work correctly. I have to compare the A3 images to the versions made with A2 to be sure, but I get the impression that A3 almost applies no chromatic aberration correction at all (might be the problem with the moire adjustments in raw fine tuning).

When you add the CA brick to the Adjustments pane it opens with the sliders set to zero. In other words, it hasn't done anything until you start moving the sliders.

Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding you, but I had to double-check myself when first using it.

Ian

Feb 15, 2010 7:02 AM in response to robogobo

Help is working fine for me. And for many others.

Really? Have you actually tried using Help on Snow Leopard? I would be very interested to see what you get. Try using the following command in Aperture:

Help > Aperture Help

...and if you get anything other than a blank browser window with the following message, I'll be amazed:

+"The Help Library requires JavaScript. If JavaScript is not enabled, you will not be able to view all the content."+

I've tried this on three different systems, all with the same effect, and others on this same forum have confirmed that they, too, can't use the online help system. You are the first person I've heard to claim that they can use Help - which is why you need to clarify exactly what you mean by "Help is working fine for me".

(You can also try using the alphabet bar in the Finder, iTunes, Keynote, Pages or Numbers help "Index" pages. All appear to be broken on Snow Leopard.)

There is a workaround for enabling JavaScript on "Snow Leopard" (which I have documented elsewhere on this forum) but users really shouldn't have to do this.

If you really can get the main Aperture Help page to work - *on Snow Leopard* - maybe you could enlighten us as to how it's working for you. We look forward to hearing from you...

Message was edited by: Fast Jag

Feb 15, 2010 7:08 AM in response to robogobo

It's crazy to suggest that customers of a "Pro"-level product can only get support by trawling through web forums.

The only direct support option seems to be 90-day telephone-based support, but frankly, why should one have to spend half-an-hour stuck on a telephone queueing system, just to report bugs?

There are many quality software companies that provide direct support, via e-mail, to their customers. There's no reason - other than corporate greed/ineptitude - why Apple can't do the same. It all depends on your attitude: if you believe in quality, then you should stand behind your products and support them. On the other hand, if you're in the big race-to-the-bottom with various other big names, then sure, I quite understand.

Feb 15, 2010 7:14 AM in response to DLScreative

For reference, the systems I'm using have Mac OS X 10.6.2 build 10C540, and Aperture 3.0 (paid upgrade from 2.x), installed from disc (i.e., not downloaded), labelled as "Version: 3.0/1001211744.1/Digital Camera RAW 3.0.0 - Build 904A57".

What are other people seeing - and if this forum is so great, why has there been so little response to other people's queries about help not working for them?!!!!

Aperture 3 works fine for me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.