Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unhide Folder

I have a folder that seems to have "hidden" itself. I used TinkerTool to show hidden files, and I can see it. But in a file browser (such as an Import box), the folder is still not showing up. I cannot seem to access the folder through an alias in the latter case. How can I "unhide" the folder permanently?

iMac 8,1 stock—OS .VI.II • iPod Touch 1,1—OS 3.1.2, D-link DIR-625 router • iLife 09 • iWork 09 • XCode 3.2.1 (64-bit)

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 2:32 PM

In the Terminal, do this:

chflags nohidden filepath

...where filepath is the path to the file. To automatically enter the file path portion of the command, just type the rest and then drag the file onto the Terminal window.
15 replies

Feb 15, 2010 2:36 PM in response to musicwind95

How to unhide it depends on just how it's hidden. OS X can hide files in several ways - either by its file name beginning with a period or by being "flagged."

If it begins with a period, you can unhide (i.e. change it's name to being without a period) it with the following command in Terminal:

+mv /path/to/file/.name /path/to/file/newname+

If the file is flagged to be hidden, you can unhide it with the following command in Terminal:

+chflags nohidden /path/to/file/name+

Feb 16, 2010 3:35 PM in response to Jason Agress

I'm getting the permissions for each item individually...I don't see the permissions for the folder itself unless it happens to be buried somewhere in the middle of the listing...I checked the beginning and the end.

Here's what I see for the first few files:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 Username staff 1566203 Jan 20 2008 Filename
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Username staff 29722463 Jan 20 2008 Filename
drwxr-xr-x 651 Username staff 22134 Jan 27 15:45 . (Yes, that is a filename with one period)
drwxrwxr-x 27 Username staff 986 Feb 16 17:38 .. (Filename with two periods)
-rw-r--r--@ 1 Username staff 21508 Jan 27 16:02 .DS_Store
drwxrwxrwx 185 Username staff 6290 Aug 9 2009 Filename

From what I can see, permissions for most files are drwrwrwx or -rwxrwrwx

Feb 17, 2010 8:56 AM in response to musicwind95

hmm, according to this command the folder should be visible. it has no flags or extended attributes of any sort that could mess it up. try restarting the computer. also, run "verify disk" on the drive with that folder. file system errors can do strange things. if there are no errors then something may be wrong with the .DS_store files either for this folder or for the ambient folder. close all finder windows and run

rm /path/to/folder/.DS_Store /path/to/folder/../.DS_Store; killall Finder

Unhide Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.