Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to SLS network

Hi,

I have just setup a new mac mini sls and trying to login to it from my imac which is on my same network. I'm supposed to see a network login from the other computer but can't get it to work. I have already gone to LOGIN Options on my imac and edited the server to point to my SLS Mac Mini and got the green light.

When I click on OTHER and type in my username and password that is setup on SLS through Workgroup Manager the login Window just shakes and I can't seem to login. However, I know my username and password are correct.

Can someone please help with this?

Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server 10.6.2, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 8:37 PM

5 replies

Feb 16, 2010 5:59 AM in response to herkuleez

Did you define a home folder for the user in Workgroup Manager? Did you enable the account as a mobile account? By default, the NFSHomeDirectory attribute is empty (99). This is not a valid file system path and attempts to login will result in the "shake."

On the Mini Server, open Workgroup Manager and look on the home folder tab. It is likely set to none and there are no other options. If this is the case, then follow these steps:

1: In WGM go to the Workgroup Manager menu and choose Preferences...
2: Check the "Show all records tab and inspector" checkbox
3: Click OK to dismiss the Preferences window.
4: Now click on the Inspector tab that is visible in WGM
5: Select the user account that you want to modify. The inspector tab should show all account attributes
6: Find the attribute NFSHomeDirectory and change the value from 99 to /Users/shortname where shortname is the short name of the user you are modifying.
7: Save the record.
8: With the user still selected, click on the Preferences button in WGM to reveal the managed client settings options
9: Click on Mobility
10: On the account creation tab, use the following base settings:
a: Always
b: Check "Create mobile account when user logs in to network account"
c: Select radio dial for "local home template" unless you are doing network homes.
11: Save the settings
12: Possibly restart the workstation to grab the new MCX
13: Try logging in again.

Hope this helps

Feb 18, 2010 12:46 PM in response to Strontium90

I am having the same issues, with one exception. I have one user account (test1) that can login, but others can not (screen just shakes). I have read many how-to guides referred to on this list and read up on the Apple documentation.

I'll try to explain where I am, and maybe someone can point me in the next place to check. I don't mind doing the legwork to troubleshoot this out and know where it is failing.

DNS is correct (nslookup & changeip), OD is Master & Kerberos is running.
Passwordserver log shows the computer and user (test1) being authenticated. But when the other users (test2) try, passwordserver log only shows the computer is authenticated.
All users are set to use network home folders, have the same mobility settings, all have the correct value in NFSHomeDirectory. I have enabled Kerberos & SSL in every location and service that I could. slapd log does not have any errors about requiring attribute 'homeDirectory' as other have said.
From workstation, Network Account Server is 'green', and the Terminal command 'id test2' shows that there is information for all the users.
In WGM I even made a preset from the working user and applied it to the other users & new user accounts. No dice 😟

I have even rebuilt this xserver a couple of times, but still run into this.
Somebody tell me where to look next 🙂

Feb 23, 2010 2:55 PM in response to ndutyme

I am an idiot
I'm almost ashamed to say that I found out what was keeping my other accounts from logging in.
On this particular Mac OS X client, during testing, I had set the setting System Preferences>Accounts>Login Options>Allow network users to log in at login window>Options>Only these network users: testuser1

Wow!

At least everything is working now

Apr 5, 2010 10:10 PM in response to Strontium90

Stronium90:

I had the same problem with my SLS MAC mini. Your solution was right on the money! but my situation was a little bit different and I post my problem as a help to others.

In WGM I had home directories configured, and they were all created too. I didn't have the afp path under the home tab in WGM, so I created it and in the field Full path I followed the suggested /Network/Servers/SERVERNAME/Users/shortname. this also populated the AFPHomeDirectory object on the WGM inspector tab. Changing it to just /Users/shortname per your solution SOLVED the problem and now network users can log on. Thank you for a very good and detailed solution.

Jun 3, 2010 6:22 AM in response to Driver28

I've worked through the previous comments,
so I have validated that I conform to all those suggestions.

but still no joy 😟

@Stronium90: Do I understand correctly that you replaced your used of /Network/Servers....shortname with simply /Users/shortname as the afp path in the home tab in WGM? (and this autopopulated the AFPHomeDirectory object with the same value).??
or
Did you mean that you still used /Network/Servers....shortname for the afp directory in the Home tab, but that you manually specified /Users/shortname for the AFPHomeDirectory object? (in our case I believe it is /Volumes/disneyland/users/shortname in case my friends are reading this).

Once you've made that change, one way or another, is there a fast way to push the change out so the client machines learn of it? or does that info not need to propagate?

shawn

Message was edited by: DrKdev

Can't login to SLS network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.