Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 Import Iphoto Places

Dear All, I just installed Aperture 3 Trial. Imported all my iphoto library to aperure 3. Projects photos and faces are all ok but i don't see any places pin in the map. What can I do?

Imac 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 3:27 AM

9 replies

Feb 23, 2010 9:06 PM in response to 81Steven

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Everything imported fine except for Places. Has something to do with Aperture 3 not fetching coordinates for Events, and only looks at GPS data inside photo files themselves. And since iPhoto doesn't write GPS data into files (it just stores it in its database), Aperture doesn't fetch any geolocations.

Tried to call Apple regarding this issue today, but looks like their Aperture support dept. is being hammered pretty hard. Opted for call-back from Apple, whenever it might happen (should happen in next 48 hrs). Will update once I have more info.

Feb 24, 2010 10:35 PM in response to Matthew Strax-Haber

Well, I didn't get a call-back from Apple, so I called them again today and was able to speak to the real person.
He tried to duplicate my problem, and it looks like importing of geotagged events from iPhoto to Aperture went without problems on his side..

Only stuff which is geotagged on Event level loses location info after import. If GPS coordinates are embedded into photo files themselves, everything is fine. But not so at Apple's side. However, I have an experience when Apple outright lied to me about some other problems - they were saying they didn't have a problem I have, on the same setup, but in next Mac OS X update that - "non-existent" - problem was fixed. So I wouldn't blindly believe in what tech support folks say..

I have tried importing twice, after rebuilding iPhoto library, and using the new 3.0.1 version of Aperture, and stuff geolocation information from iPhoto doesn't come thru into Aperture.
So I don't know.. I might have some broken iPhoto database may be?
Anyone else having such problems? I don't have lots of geotagged stuff, but re-geotagging everything is kinda annoying…

Mar 1, 2010 11:17 PM in response to Matthew Strax-Haber

Well I went with just importing my whole library (over 900 "events"), about 10% of which were geotagged, and re-geotag them again. Luckily, Aperture 3 has incredibly useful geotagging functionality (I move my family photo library from iPhoto 09 to Aperture btw, 190GB worth of data).

So, well.. that was of course a waste of several hours or my side, but at the same time I geotagged some of my older photos, and now I can be sure I won't stuck in situation where GPS coordinates are stored only in some external database (like iPhoto 09), with no means to embed this data into original photos.

Overall, I love Aperture. 3.0.1 really made things different. It still eat lots and lots and LOTS of RAM (1.5-2.5GB under normal usage), but luckily, I have 8GB installed, so well.. I'll live, I guess.

Really hope Aperture 3.1 will bring even more speed to the table, and also it would be so nice to have a gradient filter like Adobe RAW processor has. But these are all small gripes.

Overall, I have already switched from iPhoto, consolidated all my photos and movies inside Aperture library and hopefully won't regret doing that in a long run 🙂

Mar 16, 2010 2:18 PM in response to 81Steven

So is that the only solution then? That there is no solution, do it over again? This seems like a pretty gross oversight on Apple's part, especially given how much Aperture 3 is touted to be the natural next step up from iPhoto, with the added features. How can they not expect people to have photos manually tagged from iPhoto, when that was one of the largely touted features when iPhoto 09 was released? There has got to be a better fix than the hours of manual tedium of reentering location data for thousands of photos. If Apple hasn't/isn't going to fix it, does anyone know of a utility that would embed the iPhoto places info into the exif data? Could this be done in applescript? Come on, let's not let this one go so easily.

Mar 16, 2010 5:08 PM in response to Nyyankeeman

I reported it as a bug to Apple, with specific instructions on how to reproduce the problem.
I suggest you do the same.

You can see what I found to be the specific situation in which Places is, and isn't, imported from iPhoto to Aperture in this thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11229662#11229662

At least in my research, there is a workaround: Take all the Events in iPhoto which you assigned Places data at the Event level (those are the problems for Aperture Import, I've found), go into the event, select all photos in that event, and assign a Place location to them all. For whatever reason, when I assign the Place to the individual photos it gets transferred to Aperture; when I assign Place location to the Event as a whole, it does not. Buggy, but at least there is a workaround.

I am waiting for Apple to fix this bug and another one before I make the transition from iPhoto 09 to Aperture 3. In the meantime, I was just playing with A3 to see whether I like it. I do. I just don't want to lose any of the work I already did in iPhoto when I move my 17,000 photos over to Aperture.

BTW, the other thing Aperture loses when I import my iPhoto library are the Titles I've assigned to photos. A picture in iPhoto that has a meaningful Title I assigned to it gets imported into Aperture as just DSC12345xxx, losing my manual labor. Not acceptable.

...David

Message was edited by: Longwalker

Aperture 3 Import Iphoto Places

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.