Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can export (convert) SOME .wmv files but not others.

MacBook Pro 10.6.2
QuickTime Player 7 Pro 7.6.3
Flip4Mac Player Pro 2.3.1.2

I have several .wmv files - not all from the same source - that I want to convert so that I can get them onto my iPhone 3G.

I open them with QuickTime Player 7 Pro 7.6.3, then some of them have the capability (under the File menu) to Export or Share.

Some of them however, have these options greyed out so that I can not export (convert) them.

I am obviously not an expert but I do know that .wmv files are really a collection of various formats.

What should I look for in order to be able to determine why some files can be exported and some can not.

Or, if there is a better/easier way to export .wmv files to iTunes to an iPhone, please let me now.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 7:06 AM

10 replies

Feb 16, 2010 10:32 AM in response to David M Brewer

I understand what you are saying and I was not attempting to use this forum for any IP violations.

These files are not protected in any way - I can copy them with the Finder, make an image file, and even burn a new dvd with them.

I simply can not export them to a iPhone format.

I know that there are certain "codecs" that are contained in "wrappers" so that a .wmv file can be anything from a live video recording to a sequence of visual powerpoint slides.

Feb 16, 2010 11:49 AM in response to pachyx

If your trying to convert to this iPhone you need to use the iPhone export from Qt.

I know this tutorial is for the iPod you just need to pick iPhone instead of iPod from the drop down menu.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html

I, myself use MPEG_Stream to make iPod/iPhone conversions.
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
It's free and give you more control over the video conversion for the iPod export that Qt doesn't give.

Feb 16, 2010 12:01 PM in response to pachyx

These files are not protected in any way - I can copy them with the Finder, make an image file, and even burn a new dvd with them.

BTW, Windows Media copy protection - it's more accurately described as Digital Rights Management - does not prevent you from transferring, copying, or burning to a data disk any protected video. What the DRM does is prevent you from playing that video on any non-authorized device and from converting it to any other format.

So what David B. said may still be the case. From where did you get these "problem" WMV files?

Feb 16, 2010 12:31 PM in response to varjak paw

Thank you Dave. I didn't think of that, one of those day.

If DRM made it to where you couldn't transfer (copy) the video. How would anyone get a copy of video in the first place. Unless the owner sent your the copy on CD, DVD or a hard drive.

If you couldn't copy DRM, the iTunes sells would be down or nothing at all. There wouldn't be a iTunes store.

Feb 16, 2010 4:56 PM in response to pachyx

Thanks to everyone for their response. But - it is NOT a copyright issue , it is NOT a DRM issue, it is not a Faber College double secret probation encoding issue.

This is a simple .wmv file, that I have copied, burned, created a disk image, made a copy of and sent to the UK, Germany, Ireland and even New Jersey. It has been played on a MacBook Pro, a MacBook, a Dell whatever, a Sony stand alone DVD player, an LG DVD player. At least three nieces or nephews, and at least 2 canines have put it through ISO 9XXX rigors.

The problem is that Apple Quick Time 7 Pro with Flip4Mac Pro "can't handle it"

It opens fine, it plays fine --- but when I try to "output" it via the FILE menu - all of the options

Share ...
Export ...
Export to Web ...

are greyed out.

I know nothing abour codecs and wrappers but I tihnk that this is the problem.

What should I know about the file?
Ffor example, years ago, all you needed to know about a Mac file was the "Creator" and the "Type" - both were 4 character codes. something like ADOB for Adobe and PMK2 for Pagemaker 2.0.

Any help identifying the file and what I can use to get it onto my iPhone will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Feb 17, 2010 6:50 AM in response to pachyx

It helps if you provide such details in the first place. Then people will be less likely to post inapplicable suggestions.

If you're having problems converting/exporting non-DRM WMV files with Flip4Mac, I'd suggest posting in the Flip4Mac forums. Telestream's support techs participate there, and they're more likely to be able to help determine what's different about these particular files that is preventing them from being exported.

Good luck.

Feb 17, 2010 7:30 AM in response to pachyx

There is no info in my second post that is not in my original post.

Sure there is. For instance, in your second post you said " It has been played on a MacBook Pro, a MacBook..". Nothing in your first post indicated that you'd successfully played these videos on your Mac, only that you were unable to convert them. If you'd said that you'd been able to play them, that would have eliminated some possibilities such as the issue of Windows DRM.

Hope the Flip4Mac folks can help you out.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

Can export (convert) SOME .wmv files but not others.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.