Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync voice memos

I have that option turned off under that heading, but I still get the voice memos onto my itunes. I do have "sync entire music library" checkmarked. But why would itunes even give you the option turn voice memos on or off if the "entire" means that even vm's get synced even when not checkmarked.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.2), iphone 3GS (32GB), AEBS DB2 (Late 2009)

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 9:05 AM

6 replies

Feb 16, 2010 9:15 AM in response to powerbook1701

By design, iTunes automatically syncs voice memos to your iTunes library when you connect iPhone to your computer. This lets you listen to voice memos on your computer and provides a BACKUP if you delete them from iPhone.

Voice memos are synced to the Voice Memos playlist. iTunes creates the playlist if it doesn’t exist. When you sync voice memos to iTunes, they remain in the Voice Memos application until you delete them. If you delete a voice memo on iPhone, it isn’t deleted from the Voice Memos playlist in iTunes. However, if you delete a voice memo from iTunes, it is deleted from iPhone the next time you sync with iTunes.

Sync the Voice Memos playlist to iPhone:

1. Connect iPhone to your computer.
2. In iTunes, select iPhone in the sidebar.
3. Select the Music tab.
4. Select the “Include voice memos” checkbox and click Apply.

Apr 12, 2010 3:39 PM in response to wjosten

I'm so confused by the voice memos and have some questions if anyone cares to answer. (wjosten?)

First of all, the 'voice memo playlist' (created in iTunes after a sync) does not show up on the iPhone's music app regardless of what settings may be checked. It only shows in iTunes. Again, I have never seen a voice memos playlist on my iPhone in the music/iPod app. I've tried every combination of check boxes and settings. I'm assuming this is because the voice memo app generates Apple lossless files which are too big and that the system disallows? Yet even after converting them to AAC, they still would not create a playlist on the iPhone's music app and would only eventually show on the iPhone with a workaround wherein I created a custom playlist, manually created in iTunes after converting the voicememos to AACs and dragging them into that respective playlist. Is this just me?

IS ANYONE SEEING A VOICEMEMO PLAYLIST ON THEIR IPHONES IN THE IPOD/MUSIC APP????

Another confusion is in iTunes when deleting voice memos from the iTunes library (not just the playlist), a misleading warning comes up saying the memo(s) will be deleted from the iPhone, which leads one to conclude the voice memos would be deleted from the voice memo app AND the music app's playlist (since there is no distinction made). I'm assuming this warning is meant to only refer to the music app's playlist (even though one never shows up to begin with) since they certainly do not delete from the voice memo app. As an aside, having them delete from the voice memo app would be very convenient since there is no way to delete multiple voice memos from the voice memo app and leaving one with little to work with as the memos are ultimately unmanageable from iTunes, (without my workaround).

Third, the directions on the Apple website under iPhone (scroll)> Voice memos, are also confusing, again not clarifying if the deleted voice memo is only being deleted from the music app OR the voice memo app itself. And again, since it would be convenient, people will likely believe it may delete from the app, which it does not.

And lastly, as far as the random memos that decide to sync back into the voice memo app (after having been deleted from there), I've noticed it seems to happen with memos that have been renamed, but only some of them. Other than that, it's a mystery what's going on with that additional bug.

I've found that these bugs have existed since the voice memo was introduced.

I keep everything up to date and am perplexed that I have not seen more discussion around this. Or am I just missing those discussions?

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

If you made it this far, I strongly acknowledge you.
Many thanks,
Ted

sync voice memos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.