Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video driver for a snake cam

I recently bought an Otek Flexi Snake Cam for technical inspections. It is like a USB webcam on a long flexible lead and has adjustable LED lighting. This cost AU$50 whereas self-contained professional devices cost over $500.

It only came with Windows drivers. This works very well on my Macbook Pro when running Windows XP under Parallels 5. However it would be much more convenient if it worked directly with OS X. I have successfully tried other webcams using Photo Booth (the webcam appears on the Video menu) but the Otek device is not recognised by any of my OS X programs.

I have asked the supplier for advice but there is no answer so far. Would the Macam project be worth approaching:
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Message was edited by: Michael Paine

iMac Intel + Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 5:21 PM

7 replies

Feb 16, 2010 6:55 PM in response to Michael Paine

I searched for, but could not find, the technical info on the Otek Flexi Snake Cam.

However, if your camera is a "UVC" compliant device, as explained in

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2018211

the camera should work with your Snow Leopard Mac without additional drivers.

If the dealer who sold you the camera, the documentation for the camera, or its packaging cannot identify it to be UVC compliant, the manufacturer can confirm whether their product is a UVC device. They may even offer a current production version that is UVC compliant and, so, could work directly in your OS X without needing to add any software.

Depending on the importance of your requirement to use the camera outside its known-working Windows® environment, if the camera is a USB but non-UVC camera, the macam drivers may be worth testing for your purpose. However, before you install macam software, I suggest that you find and save macam's instructions on how to uninstall the macam drivers, should uninstalling become necessary.

I also suggest you make a complete backup of your startup disk before installing and testing the macam (or any other third-party) drivers. A good backup can make restoring your Mac to a working configuration much faster if new software you are testing causes problems in your Mac's operation.

EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz w/Mac OS X (10.6.2)  MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.2)
LED Cinema Display  G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11)  iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9)  External iSight

Feb 17, 2010 6:48 AM in response to Defcom-UK

Defcom(UK) wrote:
Theres a Mac USB driver at the bottom of page, dont know if its for your cam.
http://www.otekcorp.com/support-downloads.htm

Kudos!

Another GREAT find by " The Doctor"!! If anybody can find it, he can.

Cheers, mate.
EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz w/Mac OS X (10.6.2)  MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.2)
LED Cinema Display  G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11)  iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9)  External iSight

Feb 18, 2010 2:48 PM in response to Defcom-UK

Thanks for those great tips. I had already installed Macam drivers, without success. My comment was more whether it was worth submitting my problem to the Macam project - but then I dont have any technical information about the camera that "they" can work on.

The Otek website link is very useful but unfortunately the OS X download does not solve my problem. However I might try the technical support there.

I will also try out the IOX drivers but am not too hopeful as they seem to be about 4 years old and dont list the brand Otek.

Thanks again.

Mar 1, 2010 9:00 AM in response to Michael Paine

Michael Paine wrote:
... I will continue to use Parallels and Windows XP with the camera.
Thanks for the ideas.

You're welcome, Michael.

That sounds like a smart work around. Thanks for sharing.

EZ Jim

Video driver for a snake cam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.