Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Self-Assigned IP - Tried Everything?

6026 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2010 8:55 PM by Phillip Codrington RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Brendon McCarthy Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 17, 2010 10:31 AM
After Googling for hours and trying everything found on these forums and others, I am at a loss of what to try next.

The Self-Assigned IP address error will not go away on my Macbook. I recently upgraded from 10.5.8 (Leopard) to 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard).

What I have tried...

1) Deleting all network related Preference files:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/perferences.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.network.identification.plist

2) Disabling Firewall (it was never on, tried on/off multiple times)

3) In Keychain Access. Locating network in question. Access Control. "Allow all applications..."

4) Deleted All Network Locations. All network connections. All network passwords. Retried 1-3, no luck.

5) I can plug directly into wireless router and receive an IP address on the Ethernet.

6) I cannot manually assign an IP address (IP, Router, DNS, etc.).

Other notes of interest...

1) This occurs on multiple networks, but not all.
2) My iPod Touch connects successfully to all networks where my MacBook self-assigns. Other PC computers connect successfully to the network also.
3) I never had an issue with self-assigned IP addresses before upgrading to Snow Leopard.
4) After upgrading to Snow Leopard, I had other issues (the freeze issue in particular) that I resolved by creating a new user account.

Replacing the router is not an option (it is not mine). Re-installing Snow Leopard is not an option.

Any other ideas floating around I have not listed/tried above? Thanks for the help!
MacBook5,1 - 2.4 GHz - 4GB, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • William Kucharski Level 6 Level 6 (14,395 points)
    Feb 17, 2010 12:30 PM (in response to Brendon McCarthy)
    Brendon McCarthy wrote:
    Re-installing Snow Leopard is not an option.

Why not?

Are you sure the router has IP addresses available to assign?

Are there any error messages in your /var/log/system.log file (viewable via Applications->Utilities->Console) that seem to apply?
    Quad 2.5 GHz G5, 5 GB | 15" 2.6 GHz MBP Penryn, 4 GB | 1 TB Dual-Band TC, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
    Feb 17, 2010 1:29 PM (in response to Brendon McCarthy)
    Among other things, this concerns me:

kernel Warning: audit space low (< 5% free)on audit log file-system</div>

Is your hard drive very low on space?

As far as the router goes, it doesn't use any hardware-specific address authentication (MAC address authentication), does it?

The fact that it doesn't work when you manually specify an address tells me that traffic is being blocked at the router either due to your MAC address or because the router won't allow you to connect if it didn't actually assign the IP address in question.

Is this a home or commercial router?
    Quad 2.5 GHz G5, 5 GB | 15" 2.6 GHz MBP Penryn, 4 GB | 1 TB Dual-Band TC, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
    Feb 17, 2010 1:50 PM (in response to Brendon McCarthy)
    Brendon McCarthy wrote:
    Ha. I have 7 GB free on a 320 GB drive, so technically < 5%.</div>

That's very dangerous; all kinds of things are likely to start breaking at that point.

It's not necessarily the cause of this problem, just very not recommended.

When I read about the Keychain being an issue, I thought for sure it might be that since I compared how the passwords were saved with previous networks and there were small discrepancies. One of those logs also points out to something regarding the Keychain, but I have no experience troubleshooting Keychain issues.

The keychain is only involved in automatically logging into a network without having to provide a password, not in obtaining an IP address.

Still, you may want to try (if you haven't already) deleting the network from your list of preferred networks and clicking the "Apply" button and see if that helps any.

I further assume clicking the button to renew your DHCP lease does nothing.

When this happens are you connected to the network but just cannot get an IP address? (Are the AirPort bars in the menu bar grey or black?)
    Feb 17, 2010 7:41 PM (in response to Brendon McCarthy)
    Do the following in a Terminal window:

sudo tcpdump -n -vvv -s 0 -i en1 port bootps or port bootpc > dhcp

Then click the renew DHCP lease button in the Network preference pane.

When that fails, go to the Terminal window and type a Control-C (Hold down the Control key and press "c"). You should get a shell prompt back.

Then post the contents of the "dhcp" file here (you can delete it after posting it.)
  • coldone Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    Feb 17, 2010 9:40 PM (in response to Brendon McCarthy)
    Hi Brendon,

first of all, are you trying to connect by cable or by WiFI?

-) If by WiFi: Can you even connect to the network or is there no connection at all (you can be connected to a WiFI network without having an IP!)?

-) If by cable: Does the link LED on the router show activity?

What you can try regardles of the connection type: Have you tried assigning an IP from the DHCP range manually (including gateway, DNS and network mask)? Do that and see if you get connectivity. If that works, there is likely a problem with the DHCP service. If not, we have to dig further.

C.
    Mac OS X (10.6.2), mac mini, Mac Pro, MBP
    Feb 17, 2010 11:15 PM (in response to Brendon McCarthy)
    Your Mac is sending out valid DHCP DISCOVER broadcast messages, but your Wi-Fi router either isn't responding or your Mac for whatever reason isn't receiving any responses.

Once again, are the bars in the AirPort icon in your menu bar grey or black?
    Feb 18, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to Brendon McCarthy)
    Hmmm... is this a US Macbook being used in a foreign country?

If so, it could be an issue with Wi-Fi channels where the router needs to send out a "country code" in order for your Macbook to properly associate with it (due to the use of different frequencies in different countries.)

I'm not saying that's the problem, just throwing it out there.

Have you found any networks with which you can connect?
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.