Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"insert comment" grayed out in my keynote file

greetings,

have been using keynote a couple years. am using the current version...

i've run across something odd that i haven't figured out yet... i created a presentation in keynote and am still working on it... i tried to "insert comments" on a couple slides. however the menu option & the icon in the toolbar are both grayed out... quitting keynote and restarting doesn't change it...

i can open a new blank file in keynote and insert comment box there... i can copy and paste the comment box from the blank file into the file with the problem. but the option to insert a comment from the menu and toolbar are still grayed out in the file i'm working on.

i'm getting a little concerned that there may be something wrong with my file. i exported a .pdf & .ppt, just to be safe in case the file become corrupted... i also normal keep versions of the file along the way in case i want to return to a previous version or in case a file become corrupted...

i have 2 macs, 10.5.8 on a PowerMacG5 and 10.6.2 on a MBPro... same version of keynote on both computers... the problem is the same with this file on both computers.

i didn't find any posts similar to this here.
- any body run across this before?
- is there a way to rebuild a keynote file?
- any other suggestions?

thanks for any advice-
jeffery

MBookPro, PMac Dual G5, PBG4 1.5GHz, PBG4 500MHz, iPod 120Gig, Mac OS X (10.6.2), keynote 5.0.3 (791)

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 1:33 PM

Jeffery,

Sometimes we won't know why a document goes bad. My suggestion would be to move the slides from your bad document to a fresh one where Comments can be created. Highlight the Slide Thumbnails and drag them to the Slides pane of the new document.

Jerry
3 replies

Mar 10, 2010 10:44 AM in response to Jeffery Nunes

I just ran into this problem as well. Took me frickin 5 days to figure out the problem. It's a simple fix. You have comments hidden. Select View -> Show Comments from the menu. Done.

The bug here is that if you have comments hidden, Keynote won't let you insert comments, but it will allow you to paste them in from other presentations.

Note to Apple: if comments are hidden, the "insert comment" button should still be available. If the user clicks it while comments are hidden, a message should be displayed that says "you have comments hidden, would you like to show comments and insert a new comment?". That UX would completely solve this problem.

"insert comment" grayed out in my keynote file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.