Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my Bonjour?

I have looked until my *** has fallen off (last 9.25 hours) and I can't find Bonjour in my wife's computer? We want to iChat w/our daughter using Bonjour which I am assured by several tech support folks can happen. Anyone kow where I can download Bonjour and iChat or do I have to re-install the app bundle?? This crap w/AppleMac is wearing me out! I'm obviously very frustrated w/this and find the 'support' received cool for a computer geek which I ain't so I don't understand most, if not all, of the advice. Seems like most people involved with computers have forgotten the plain old English language.

<Edited by Host>

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 4:20 PM

9 replies

Feb 18, 2010 12:35 PM in response to wybird

Hi , and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

I'd be surprised if Bonjour wasn't already installed & running, if you open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, you should see a Process running called mDNSResponder, that's Bonjour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_%28software%29

Is iChat not in your Dock? Is it in the Applications foler?

Message was edited by: BDAqua

Feb 18, 2010 2:19 PM in response to BDAqua

No sign of mDNSResponder anywhere???

Went to website (Wikipedia) you suggested. Nothing there that I could identify as Bonjour for Mac. Lots of Bonjour for Windows though.

iChat is in both Dock and App Folder. Double click on it and I only get a Buddy's List pop-up w/my name on it??? Have never seen the sign up/register pages the iChat tutorial shows nor what is shown in the "Users Manual"???

I was interested in Bonjour because I was told iChat would work with a Bonjour account on both Macs (our daughters and ours) and I wouldn't have to pay Steve Jobs $100/year for the 'privilege' of using iChat which was included in the original software package and purchase price??? This came from a techie at the MobileMe (.Mac) support center. I personally feel like the price of an Apple is already 'beyond the pale' and these additive expenses are just gouging the consumer base even more. They have a 'captive audience' so to speak! And I was told that Apples were a lot more user-friendly than MS and Windows PCs. Can't see there is any great advantage over Bill Gates' crew!

Unless we can achieve some kind of breakthru here, we will probably try either Yahoo or Googles's free video conferencing programs.

Appreciate your efforts to 'enlighten' me though!

Thanx!

Feb 18, 2010 5:29 PM in response to BDAqua

BD:
Thanx 4 the info.

mDNSResponder showed up somehow. Now the big question: How is it used???

Still don't have what I would call a recognizable workable iChat program??? I reinstalled bundled apps from DVD. Apparently no help except I now have a bunch of programs/apps that I know nothing about??? Example: I now have iDisk showing up and have no idea what it is or how it works??? I know I sound dumber than a mud fence but this is ridiculous. i.e. what the heck is an 'Omnioutliner'? or and 'OmniPlanner'? Are they necessary? Can be deleted? What the heck over!

Feb 18, 2010 5:36 PM in response to wybird

How is it used???

It's all automatic, no need for you to do anything at all with it.

I now have iDisk showing up and have no idea what it is or how it works?

That's just for if you have a .mac/.me account, used to store stuff online... forget it.

what the heck is an 'Omnioutliner'? or and 'OmniPlanner'? Are they necessary? Can be deleted? What the heck over!

Trash them if you wish, doesn't sound like you'd ever use them.

Still don't have what I would call a recognizable workable iChat program???

Did you look in the applications folder?

Feb 18, 2010 7:00 PM in response to wybird

I'm not tech savvy either, but........ if both of you have mac computers with ichat you should be able to use that free of charge. I went to aim.com and got a screen name. Once both parties add each other's screen name to their buddy list, they are able to call each other to video chat. I've never had a problem or a charge using it that way.

Feb 18, 2010 8:59 PM in response to BDAqua

BD and MALAGAS:
Thanx 4 the inputs.

I click on iChat in either the Dock or Apps and all I get is the Buddies List popup. I have found no way to enter our daughter's name in the Buddies List and have found no way to register to use this program. ergo; no way to USE the thing!

I browse the web and e-mail sometimes but this is really making me feel stupid in that I don't see what is going on.

I guess I'm getting to an age where i can't grasp the concepts involved.

What I wanted to do was exactly as what Malagas said but - - - -???? Oh well????????

Thanx again folks!

Feb 18, 2010 9:38 PM in response to wybird

When iChat is running, goto iChat>Preferences>Accounts, click on the little + icon at the bottom & add your AIM account.

I browse the web and e-mail sometimes but this is really making me feel stupid in that I don't see what is going on.

No worry, calm down, you can do it, and once you do ou'll have a better picture of what is going on... it gets easier as you go! 🙂

Feb 19, 2010 5:20 PM in response to wybird

You sound as un-tech as I am, so I feel compelled to try again. Both you and your daughter have to do this on your own computers: Go to Safari and type in aim.com in the Q search area on the top right of the page. When the aim page comes up, the first entry will say Instant Messenger AIM. It has a list of choices under. Click on Macintosh. That takes you to a page that has you download AIM for Mac and sign up for a screen name. (I didn't go any further to get you directions since I already have it, but you will need to give an email address to get a screen name). You will put your daughter's screen name in your address book in your dock and she will do yours in hers. The address book will actually ask for AIM info when you fill in her information. Once that is done, click on the ichat icon in the dock. When the Buddy List is up, click on the + sign in the bottom left corner. That will bring up your address book. Scroll down to your daughter's name, highlight it and at the bottom click the blue "select buddy". Both of you have to do it with each other's information. (You can also do this from the top when ichat is open - buddies is a choice and you could add from there, but I don't want to confuse you). Once all this is done, both of you can bring up your buddy list - her name should be lit up (not gray, or that means she doesn't have it on/open) and you would click on her name in the buddy list, then click the camera at the bottom of the buddy list square and HOPEFULLY you can video chat. If you are the one to start the contact she will have a place to click to accept your video invitation. I really hope this helps. It's a lot of fun. Besides ichatting with friends that have macs, I ichat with someone who has a PC so we have to use a different program and the connection is delayed, digitized and just not clear. With mac, ichat is like sitting in the same room.

Where is my Bonjour?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.