Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot print Snow Leopard -> Windows 7 x64 Shared Printer

I need to configure printer sharing between a 64-bit Win7 Ultimate dektop and a Macbook Pro laptop running OS X Snow Leaopard (10.6). I have followed all of the conventional wisdom I can find on the net without success.

All updates applied to both systems, latest printer drivers on both.

Both systems in the same homegroup on the same subnet. IP addressed assigned via DHCP but preconfigured at the router -- essentially, fixed.

I've tried this with AV and firewalls on and of on both machines; same results

File sharing works in both directions

Win7 configured as follows:
All Print and Document Services Enabled
Printer: Canon Pixma MX700 connected via USB
Share This Printer on for both printer and FAX (it’s a MF printer)
Network discover: on
File & printer sharing: on
Anyone with network access can read/write
Media streaming: off
Enable sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption
Password protected sharing: off
Allow windows to manage homegroup connections
Network profile set to Work

Snow Leopard configured as follows:
System preferences->Print&Fax->Add Printer->Advanced
Add printer
Type = Windows
URL= smb://user:password@workgroup/cptrname/MX700 -or-
URL = smb://user:password@workgroup/192.168.1.10/MX700
Print using: Chhose a Driver or Printer Model: Camon Pixma MX700

The printer configures successfully and I can queue print jobs from the Mac. It shows up in the appropriate print queue on the Windows machine as Remote Downlevel Document and hangs in Spooling state. The only way to delete the document is to reset the print subsystem on the Mac.

I also tried unchecking “Enable bidirectional printing” under the printer properties on the Mac to no effect.

Macbook Pro 15" 3GB, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Win7 x64 Intel Core2 Quad 8GB

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 12:17 PM

2 replies

Feb 19, 2010 11:49 PM in response to Stu Farnham

Your issue is with the Canon driver. It cannot be used on the Mac when you have the Canon inkjet shared by Windows. For these types of connections, you need to use an alternate driver, such as the Gutenprint driver set.

The only problem with Gutenprint is that your MX700 is not listed as a supported printer. So, you could spend hours trying to find which of the other Canon models that are supported by Gutenprint will work to your printer. Or, you could look at purchasing PrintFab.

Pahu

Cannot print Snow Leopard -> Windows 7 x64 Shared Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.