Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grab Application - temporary files location?

Where might one find the "untitled" tiff files that the Grab utility generates? I took several and I'd like to move them directly into a folder without having to save and name each and every one — individually. I've looked and looked and tried just about everything I can think of but without any success. Surely they have to be lurking somewhere in the system?

PowerMac G5 1.8 1G memory, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 160 & 320 internal hard drives with WD Premium ES 500G & Fantom 1.5T external hard drives

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 6:44 PM

Where might one find the "untitled" tiff files that the Grab utility generates?

They are in the window in the Grab application.
It saves them wherever you tell it to when you select File -> Save or Save As...
5 replies

Feb 22, 2010 10:47 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris ~ Thanks for your answer, but I don't think it helps here. That's how you save a .tif image that is created by the GRAB application. If you have generated multiple screen shots, this will allow you to save them +one at a time+. Unless you know how to get the FILE -> SAVE OR SAVE AS command to save multiple screenshots at one time.

+I want to know where the screen shots are stored after being created, but before being saved.+ I'm hoping to be able to move/save all of them, at the same time, into another folder. Another possibility would be to use a graphics program like Graphics Converter, PhotoShop, or even iPhoto to be able to browse the GRAB images and name and/or import them "en masse' into another folder. But I don't know what folder to browse...

Feb 22, 2010 3:00 PM in response to mnme

I want to know where the screen shots are stored after being created, but before being saved

They are not stored anywhere except in RAM. They are opened in the GRAB application awaiting you to do something with them.

You can use Screen Capture
User uploaded file

and use Onyx or Cocktail to set the file type and location of saved screenshots.

Feb 22, 2010 5:16 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks again, Chris. I feel much better knowing that I couldn't find the files because they're "virtual", floating in memory like little dreams. The good news is that I've totally missed the screen shots settings in Onyx and you've brought it to my attention. I use ONYX regularly, but haven't looked at the Preferences screen in a long time.

I should have just used Snapz Pro X. It's just that I've got GRAB sitting right there in the dock and it seemed handier. But I was using Quicksilver to launch GRAB and it's just as easy to launch Snapz... (I can take a hint — it's time to get GRAB off the dock.)

I was using screen grabs to isolate some graphics in documents I saved to PDF format. I suspect using Graphic Converter might have also been a better alternative.

Really and truly appreciate you hanging in there with me!

Feb 22, 2010 7:42 PM in response to mnme

I should have just used Snapz Pro X. It's just that I've got GRAB sitting right there in the dock and it seemed handier. But I was using Quicksilver to launch GRAB and it's just as easy to launch Snapz

With the screen capture as above, there's nothing to launch. And if it's just a simple screen shot, no need even for Snapz.

It's kinda easy to get lost and forget about most simple way to accomplish something.

Grab Application - temporary files location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.