Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight and mail notes

Hi all.
Is there a way of getting spotlight to index the notes within Mail? I've got lots of notes, with lots of info, but spotlight doesn't seem to index them, or at least report any results from them. My iPhone spotlight reports them, but not my Mac. Any ideas?
Thanks,
John

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Mail 4.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2010 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2010 4:48 AM

Make sure that any relevent items are not checked in Spotlight's exclude. Do you get any results when you search in Mail itself?
10 replies

Feb 22, 2010 5:32 PM in response to jcbigears

Notes show up for me in Spotlight under Messages...

Try a repair disk on Macintosh HD.

Next, try adding Macintosh HD to Spotlight's exceptions list. I'd log out/in, and then remove it. Wait for Spotlight to re-index the drive.

If that doesn't work, then try the commands here that V.K. and baltwo have posted. See if those help. Basically, you're going to wipe your Spotlight index and have it re-index the drive.

Feb 23, 2010 9:09 PM in response to musicwind95

Thanks.
Didn't work entirely. The notes are now indexed, but appear as emails. The are listed as emails received from me, with the title in a lighter font indicating what they actually are. the don't have the note icon. Do they have the note icon in your spotlight? When searching from within mail, though, they appear with note icons.
John

Spotlight and mail notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.