Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bonjour has been disabled

Home Share in Itunes in not working - am getting a message that says the Bonjour service has been disabled, re-enable it. I have no idea how it got disabled in the first place, cannot find a download anywhere (have tried all links posted in this forum, and don't know how to re-enable it. Last time I used Home Share, everything was fine. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am tearing my hair out. Thanks!

Windows XP

Posted on Feb 22, 2010 9:38 AM

23 replies

Feb 23, 2010 5:44 AM in response to twinkletoez

h5 there

5f you use internet explorer click view then click view explorer bar. Here you can find the bonjour. Click it and you see it on the left in a separate field. This is the only place to see the bonjour...Yet I can not connect between Lap Top and iPhone so that I can transfer files to the iPhone.
If you have any idea let me know. I also posted a long post on February 15 but did not get satisfactory solution
Thanks
Abraham from Israel

Feb 24, 2010 11:10 AM in response to twinkletoez

Okay. It's probably not a firewall suppressing the BonJour process then.

We'd better check on the Service itself.

Restart the PC. Now right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage". Expand "Service & Applications". Click "Services". Maximise the window so you can see what's going on.

Find the BonJour Service in the list of services. What do you see next to it under Status and Startup type?

For example, I see:

*BonJour Service Started Automatic*

If you see something different, right-click the BonJour Service and select "Properties". In the General tab set the Startup type to "Automatic" and/or click the "Start" button. Click okay.

Now that you've got the Service looking like mine, try launching iTunes. Does home sharing work for you now?

Feb 24, 2010 1:51 PM in response to b noir

I have the same problem with reenabling Bonjour on Vista, and I have tried your suggestions without any results. I have done a clean uninstall of iTunes and Bonjour. When installing only Bonjour (you can find it at apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html), it does start after rebooting. If I then stop Bonjour, it will not start again, even after rebooting. The error messages I get are "refer to service-specific error code -1" from starting throgh Services, "The Bonjour service terminated with service-specific error 4294967295 (0xFFFFFFFF)" from the Event log (where I also can see that Bonjour does start, but stops again after 1 second). The command line errors are "install service failed <1073>" and "start service dispatcher failed <1063>.
When I install iTunes when Bonjuour is running, Bonjour stops and cannot be restarted through Services or the command line. I suppose the iTunes installation stops Bonjour, and then it cannot be restarted. At some time in the past I disabled Bonjour, but now that I have an iPhone, I would very much like it to work again, and would appreciate any ideas.

Feb 24, 2010 2:44 PM in response to Ragha

If I then stop Bonjour, it will not start again, even after rebooting. The error messages I get are "refer to service-specific error code -1" from starting throgh Services, "The Bonjour service terminated with service-specific error 4294967295 (0xFFFFFFFF)" from the Event log (where I also can see that Bonjour does start, but stops again after 1 second). The command line errors are "install service failed <1073>" and "start service dispatcher failed <1063</div>

Are you game for trying some experimental basic-principles troubleshooting with that one, Ragha?

If so, this is the first thing I'd try.

If you don't have a Java Runtime installed on your PC at the moment, download and install the latest version:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

If you already have one installed, make sure you have the most recent version of it.

Now restart the PC. Don't start any applications after the restart. Head into your uninstall a program control panel, select BonJour and click repair.

Any luck with getting the service started now?

(I think you can see what my reasoning is with this experiment from the information on the BonJour download page ... and sometimes repair installs go through better if they are carried out immediately after a reboot, with no other applications running.)

Feb 25, 2010 5:33 PM in response to b noir

Ok, so now Bonjour is working and home share is showing up but I am getting the following error message:

The shared library "Angela's Music" in not responding (-3259). Check that any firewall software running on either the shared computer or this computer has been set to allow communication on port 3689.

What next?

Thanks so much for all of the help so far.

Feb 25, 2010 5:45 PM in response to twinkletoez

The shared library "Angela's Music" in not responding (-3259). Check that any firewall software running on either the shared computer or this computer has been set to allow communication on port 3689.

Okay ... that one *almost certainly* is firewall software.

What firewall are you running on the PC at the moment, agallis?

Feb 28, 2010 9:58 AM in response to b noir

Thanks for helping, I'll be glad to experiment! Control Panel repaired Bonjour without errors when I did as you said just after reboot. However, the problem starting Bonjour through Services was still there (same error messages as before). And after I tried starting Bonjour, a second Repair generated an error saying my authority was wrong (I do have administration login). So it is kind of Catch 22...

Feb 28, 2010 10:04 AM in response to Ragha

And after I tried starting Bonjour, a second Repair generated an error saying my authority was wrong (I do have administration login).

Interesting. What is the precise text of that one, Ragha? (No need to translate if you've got a non-English localisation of Windows.)

(Checking, because some of those errors tend to indicate a damaged program file (or disk damage) rather than a genuine permissions issue.)

Feb 28, 2010 12:14 PM in response to b noir

Interesting. What is the precise text of that one, Ragha? (No need to translate if you've got a non-English localisation of Windows.)

(Checking, because some of those errors tend to indicate a damaged program file (or disk damage) rather than a genuine permissions issue.)

B noir, you got me thinking there, and I figured an uninstall & reinstall of only Bonjour would be worth trying. So instead of the recommended uninstall order I described above (including iTunes etc), I started Apple´s Bonjour installer to uninstall only Bonjour. I had to use the above mentioned cmd commands to completely get rid of Bonjour first (otherwise I had the same authority error message when trying to reinstall). I then rebooted and reinstalled Bonjour again - and after a new reboot the Bonjour service is up and running! Don´t know for how long it will last, and I will have to wait until next reboot to see if the successful installation is permanent, but for now it seems OK. ;-}

Bonjour has been disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.