Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine restore

To cure a recurring problem with Photoshop (which couldn't be resolved by and uninstall/reinstall of that app) and to clear accumulated clutter, I assisted a friend in doing a clean install of Snow Leopard. I suppose that I should have anticipated this and not proceeded from the start but our mistaken assumption was that it would be possible to restore his Mail, Contacts and data files from a Time Machine backup. This was either an incorrect assumption on our part or we bungled the restore process. Can anyone tell me whether it is somehow possible to restore his data from one of these old Time Machine backups? If it is possible, could the precise steps be outlined for us?

He has a MacBook Pro running 10.6.2 and his Time Machine backups are on a 1 Terrabyte Western Digital MyBook external hard drive.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 8:25 PM

7 replies

Feb 24, 2010 8:59 PM in response to Swamp_Fox

Swamp_Fox wrote:
To cure a recurring problem with Photoshop (which couldn't be resolved by and uninstall/reinstall of that app) and to clear accumulated clutter, I assisted a friend in doing a clean install of Snow Leopard. I suppose that I should have anticipated this and not proceeded from the start but our mistaken assumption was that it would be possible to restore his Mail, Contacts and data files from a Time Machine backup. This was either an incorrect assumption on our part or we bungled the restore process.

What did you do?

Can anyone tell me whether it is somehow possible to restore his data from one of these old Time Machine backups?

Yes.

If it is possible, could the precise steps be outlined for us?

There are a number of ways to restore from Time Machine; without knowing just what you want to restore versus what you want to leave behind, it's rather difficult to give you precise steps.

• To restore your entire system, see #14 in the Frequently Asked Questions *User Tip,* also at the top of this forum.
  • To restore everything but OSX, erase your internal HD, install OSX, then use +Setup Assistant+ per #19 in the FAQ Tip.
  • To restore selected items, see #15 in, you guessed it, the FAQ Tip.

Feb 24, 2010 9:39 PM in response to Swamp_Fox

This is what we tried:

Is there anyway that I will be able to restore her user account from the Time Machine backup to her new MacBook?

yes, it's possible but you'll have to do it manually. First, make sure that there is no account by the same name already exists on the new mac. this is important.

next, control-click on TM in the dock and select "browse other TM disks". this will let you browse the old TM backups. in the backups select the old home directory in /Users. click on the "gears" action button in the toolbar and select "restore to". choose to restore to the folder /users on your main hard drive. once the restore is complete go to system preferences->accounts and create an account with the same short user name as the name of the home directory you just restored. it will say that a home directory by that name already exists and ask if you want to use it. say "yes".

Feb 24, 2010 9:56 PM in response to Swamp_Fox

Swamp_Fox wrote:
This is what we tried:

That will restore a user account from one Mac's backups to a new user account on the same or a different Mac. Done properly, that should have transferred everything in the user's home folder. Apparently it didn't, or you wouldn't be posting here.

So what went wrong with that procedure, or what wasn't restored?

As mentioned in my previous post, there are ways to restore your entire system; get a new copy of OSX and transfer everything else; or restore individual items; but we don't know how to advise you until you clarify what you're trying to do.

Feb 25, 2010 7:20 AM in response to Swamp_Fox

Swamp_Fox wrote:
My friend needs to: A. restore his emails, B. his Address Book contacts and C. his photos and document files. We attempted to follow the instructions from this topic:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2346331&tstart=15

I don't know what we did incorrectly.

That was to restore partial backups to a different Mac, where the entire system hadn't been saved and a full system restore could not be done -- a very different situation.

You can restore individual items, such as those you listed, from the "Star Wars" display. See #15 in the Frequently Asked Questions *User Tip,* also at the top of this forum.

But if, when you say "emails," you mean everything in Apple Mail, including all the account data (server names, passwords, etc.) and preference information, plus all the mailboxes and contents; don't use the special handling shown in #15 for Mail. Instead, start with the Finder, then go into the "Star Wars" display, and restore the entire +*<home folder>/Library/Mail+* folder.

Or, if what you actually want to do is restore the entire home folder, you should start over. Erase the internal HD and install OSX from the OSX install disc, then use +Setup Assistant+ per #19 in the FAQ Tip. Then download and install the "combo" update to get back to the correct version of OSX, and run +Repair Permissions.+

Time Machine restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.