Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modifying KeyBindings (media-keys etc..) on a MacBook.

Hi all,

Although 10.6 otherwise works fine, i have 1 Very Big Issue™.
This is the fact that some keyboard-keys appear to be mapped in a way that gets in the way all the time, and there seems to be no way to change them.

One example is the 'Play' (media)key. Accidentally hitting it is starting iTunes all the time, which i don't want.
Another one is a mapping that becomes active when ichat is running, which is ^C (control+c). I need this combination all the time, since i spend a lot of time on the commandline, but with iChat running instead of terminating the current command, it will bring iChat to the foreground.

Apart from that i've always found the expose-keys to be in an inconvenient loaction, so like to set the shortcut to some arbitrairy combination. Although this is still possible, doing so effectively reduces the number of function-keys, since the original expose-keys remain active. I don't want that!

Why is Apple creating such bad design nowadays?
And is there any a regular way to alter those keybindings the way i like, or otherwise some way to hack artound it?

thanks,
arri

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 4:41 AM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2010 2:00 AM in response to arri

in the meantime i settled with inversing the fn key behaviour for the exposé/itunes issues,
but i've enclountered an even more annoying conflict:

when ichat is running, issuing ^-C ( control+C ) in any application, will bring-forward iChat, and also open a window when none was visible.

on the command ^-C is a very frequently used key-combination, and since using the Terminal as part of daily workflow all the time, this is super annoying.

i would appreciate if anyone could tell me how i would disable this 'feature' of iChat.
(and possibly the shortcut-drama in general..)

thanks!
arri

Modifying KeyBindings (media-keys etc..) on a MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.