Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless network connection timeout due to profile settings?

Hello all,

I am unable to connect to a WPA wireless network under my current profile (is an administrator account). I used to be able to connect, but cannot confirm/deny what caused the failures to start occurring. When I attempt to connect I get the following messages in the /var/log/system

airportd MIG failed (Associate Event) = -3905 (Timeout)
Error joining networkname: Connection timeout (-3905 timeout connecting)

I created another Administrator account and was able to connect to said network with no issue. So I seem to think there is a problem with my current profile. Is there some kind of cache or the like that I could clear out to resolve the issue?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 6:56 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2010 4:37 PM in response to Kenp21

No solution but I have the same problem. I can get it to work momentarily (but only occasionally) by erasing pref files, resetting the base station, making a new u ser, etc. Still after sleeping the mbp it wakes and I can not get a connection. The OS logs an error in the system.log file:

For example:
localhost airportd[239]: Apple80211Associate() failed -3905 (Timeout)
localhost Apple80211 framework[123]: airportd MIG failed (Associate Event) = -3905 (Timeout) (port = 50767)
localhost SystemUIServer[123]: Error joining majortom: Connection timeout (-3905 timeout connecting)

This came about completely randomly, and my intel imac is perfectly fine. It ma kes no sense.

Mar 3, 2010 8:21 PM in response to Michael Thorn

OK let's see if you Mac when it was "Upgraded" keep the Leopard preferences and forgot to update for your 10.6.x install. So first turn off your Airport. Next go the folder /Your Main HardDrive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and delete the files com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, com.apple.airport.preferences.plist-orig & NetworkInterfaces.plist . Upond doing that immediately reboot. Upon going back into the Machine launch system Preferences->Network and the Network pane drag the Airport to the top of the stack. Then at the top of the Network pane's "Location" make a custom name calling whatever you want, then hit the "Apply" button. Then turn on airport and try to rejoin your wireless network.

Hopefully this will work for you because it should reset airport in your current profile.

Good Luck.

Wireless network connection timeout due to profile settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.