Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any "drag and drop" tricks for transferring TM backups onto new drive?

I've read many of the previous threads like mine, but my situation seems to be unique.

I have a damaged Time machine disk that is corrupted and can't be repaired by any disk utility programs. And I want to temporarily transfer the TM backups to another hard drive while I reformat the TM disk. I have snow leopard, but the finder won't let me drag and drop my time machine backups (Backups.backupdb) onto a new drive. I get the same "The backup can’t be copied because the backup volume doesn’t have ownership enabled" error. However, when I get info on the drive I want to transfer the backups to and uncheck "ignore ownership on this volume", I still get an error when dragging and dropping the time machine backups. The new error reads "This operation can't be completed because it isn't supported."

Are there any other things I can try to get drag and drop to work? I would have used the methods described above (clone the TM drive using disk utility or CCC), but I can't do that as my time machine disk contains a lot of other items besides the TM backups, and the disk I'm trying to drag the TM backups too is actually smaller than the TM disk. Since my TM disk is corrupted, I can't delete the extra files on the disk to make a clone that would fit on my smaller new disk. So I'm unable to clone my TM disk because it's too big. Is there any other way to make the drag and drop work in snow leopard? Everyone says it should, but I've been unable to get it to work.

Macbook Pro unibody 15'', Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 10:29 AM

6 replies

Feb 25, 2010 11:22 AM in response to Jottle

Jottle wrote:
. . .
I have a damaged Time machine disk that is corrupted and can't be repaired by any disk utility programs. And I want to temporarily transfer the TM backups to another hard drive

That cannot be done. If the backups are corrupted beyond repair, they're useless. Even if you manage to "clone" them, the copy will also be corrupted beyond repair and useless.

my time machine disk contains a lot of other items besides the TM backups

That's a problem, too. See #3 in the Frequently Asked Questions *User Tip,* also at the top of this forum.

Copy as much of the "other" stuff somewhere temporarily, reformat the disk into (at least) two partitions (see #5 in the FAQ Tip), copy the data back, and start TM fresh on it's own, exclusive partition.

Or, depending on the age of the disk, I'm not sure I'd trust my backups to it. It might be smartest to replace it. Use the old drive for the "other" stuff, and the new drive exclusively for TM backups of both your internal and the "other" external.

Feb 25, 2010 12:18 PM in response to Pondini

Well my OS says the disk is corrupted and data should be copied over and the disk should be reformatted. It seems as though the data that exists on the TM drive already is still good as I can see and copy the files with no problem. I'll probably have to just reformat and lose the TM backups, but is there no way to at least try to drag an drop the TM backup folder?

Feb 25, 2010 12:25 PM in response to Jottle

Jottle wrote:
Well my OS says the disk is corrupted

Where did you first get a message about the problem? If it was from TM, then the backups are corrupted; if neither Disk Utility or other such can fix them, they're useless.

is there no way to at least try to drag an drop the TM backup folder?

Most users of Snow Leopard (not Leopard) can, unless they're corrupted. Since you've already tried that with no success, you're out of business.

Any "drag and drop" tricks for transferring TM backups onto new drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.