Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup failure on case-sensitive disk?

Hello,

I just started getting a Time Machine backup failure error that says "A disk you are backing up is case-sensitive, but the backup disk is not."

None of my external disks have changed and I've not added any new ones.

The error seems to be stemming from the fact that I'm logged in as multiple users on my system, all with MobileMe accounts. When I "get info" on all mounted disks, the only ones that are reporting "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)" are the mounted iDisks from the other use accounts that I'm currently logged in as.

Does this mean I cannot use Time Machine while logged in as multiple users, all with the iDisks mounted? That would be a major annoyance to either have to log out/log in to each user as I need them or to disable iDisk syncing in my MobileMe prefs.

Regards,
Terry

15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 10:55 AM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2010 1:38 PM in response to baltwo

I'll try your suggestion but...

* I posted here since it was a Time Machine error, not a MobileMe error.

* I would be surprised if Time Machine was not able to "tolerate" MobileMe iDisks that remain mounted from other user accounts. That would be an oversight on Apple's part in my opinion given that MobileMe iDisks are their technology.

...I'll visit the MM forum and see if anything comes up.

Thanks,
Terry

Feb 27, 2010 3:03 PM in response to tlwyse

That seems odd to me; my iDisk shows WebDAV as the format and doesn't interfere with backups, but I don't have any other users' iDisks, either.

Another possibility would be to reformat your TM drive as case-sensitive. That would, of course, erase all your backups so TM would start over from scratch, and some possible troubles when restoring (see the pink box in #5 of the Frequently Asked Questions *User Tip,* also at the top of this forum, for details); but you'd no longer have the backup problem.

Feb 27, 2010 8:14 PM in response to Pondini

If you have the "physical" iDisk mounted, it shows "WebDav" as the format...but if you have iDisk syncing enabled, it shows up as "Journaled, case-sensitive".

I've since disable iDisk syncing on the other user accounts and the problem has gone away. It seems to only occur if you have iDisk syncing enabled on one user but then switch to another user without logging out first...leaving the "synced" iDisk on the desktop of the user you just switched to.

Go figure.

terry

Time Machine backup failure on case-sensitive disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.