Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combine PDFs in Preview?

Is there a simple way to combine two separate PDF files into one file in Preview?

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 8:55 AM

Yes. Open one of the PDFs. Make sure the Preview sidebar (right hand side that shows all the pages) is visible. Drag the second PDF file into the sidebar. File -> Save As... .
14 replies

May 21, 2010 12:42 PM in response to iRob 2.0

I'm having the same problem and have, ever since I upgraded to SnowLeopard. (Preview version 5.0.2 and Mac OSX 10.6.3)

When I drag the files together via the side bar, it says at the top stuff like 1 page (2 documents, 2 total pages) Huh?

I just found out the trick, completely by accident!

If you drag the 2nd document to the sidebar of the first and you see a blue line--it won't save it as a single document. It does the 2 documents, 2 pages useless thing.

If you drag the 2nd document *into the image of the first document +in the side bar+* (you will see the page in the sidebar have a gray box around it with a white border) you end up with merged documents.

Then just save it and you're good.

Not sure why they changed it, as I have no idea what use the first option provides. And not sure why they didn't document this was how it works now. But I'm glad to have the problem solved because my iMac will not open Acrobat Pro (Acrobat crashes every time).

Whew!

Oct 17, 2010 11:02 AM in response to cookingchemist

None of the solutions offered in this thread work for me. I have followed each of them carefully, trying to combine 2 Preview docs into one. Opened both docs and opened the sidebars on each. Dragged the image of the 2nd page from its sidebar to the sidebar of the 1st document and Saved As. It only saved the 2nd page. Dragged the image of the 2nd document from its sidebar and dropped it on top of the image of the 1st page (which greyed and had a rectangle around it). Saved As. It LOOKS right, but when saved as, only the 2nd page is saved.

Using X 10.6.4. What should I try next? (And why is this so difficult??? It seems like it ought to be both simple and intuitive.)

Nov 3, 2010 11:10 AM in response to DeaconMac

Is there a third party software for this that anyone can recommend. Honestly, during a working day, who has time to wank around with this? As a long time Mac user, I am increasingly disappointed with this attitude Apple seems to have which is focus on new gadgets at the expense of what made it great in the first place. Simple to use, effective intuitive products. Preview gets an F.

Nov 3, 2010 12:11 PM in response to donshort

Ok, nevermind about the third party software. If you are frustrated with combining PDF's in Preview here is a quick and dirty way to combine files. Open a blank Pages doc and under view set up show layout. Drag your file into pages and size it up so it fits in the layout. One doc per page. To get a 2nd blank page go to Insert>sections>blank. Repeat the steps above with your next doc to be combined. When you are done, go to File>Export>Hilite PDF>next>Name it and put it somewhere you can find it. Done. Not perfect, but it's going to work everytime.

Combine PDFs in Preview?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.