Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Express 9 Arpeggiator

I've created an arpeggiator in LE9. However, it doesn't seem to be as feature-rich as the arpeggiators in my synths, specifically it doesn't appear to be possible to turn on/off arp steps or have a 'swing' feature.Is this the case, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Hi-Res 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3G 16GB

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 7:19 AM

No you're not missing anything unfortunately, the actual arpeggiator object itself in the environment does not allow you to turn off individual steps. It can however be done by cabling transformer objects to the arpeggiator. You could for example set the transformer to filter any notes within a certain octave range (say C2-B2 for example) whilst allowing all other notes through. The settings for the transformer would be Status:= Note, Channel: All, Pitch: Inside C2-B2, Velocity: All with the operation set to filter matching events. The filtered octave would create a silence in the arpeggiator sequence akin to a gate. I know this isn't ideal in order to create a simple effect such a a gate for the Arp, but once you get used to working with with the environment objects you will eventually be able to do some pretty complex and cool things. I have created an 8 stage step sequencer by running an arpeggiator object into 8 transformers, which in turn run through a 9th transformer which is set to act as a gate. They can be cabled into numerous instrument tracks simultaneously, and there is quite a lot of cool stuff that can be done with random pitch and velocity with the transformers as well. I hope the above was of some use to you, if you want in more info just let me know.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2010 7:19 AM in response to Alastair Hooley

No you're not missing anything unfortunately, the actual arpeggiator object itself in the environment does not allow you to turn off individual steps. It can however be done by cabling transformer objects to the arpeggiator. You could for example set the transformer to filter any notes within a certain octave range (say C2-B2 for example) whilst allowing all other notes through. The settings for the transformer would be Status:= Note, Channel: All, Pitch: Inside C2-B2, Velocity: All with the operation set to filter matching events. The filtered octave would create a silence in the arpeggiator sequence akin to a gate. I know this isn't ideal in order to create a simple effect such a a gate for the Arp, but once you get used to working with with the environment objects you will eventually be able to do some pretty complex and cool things. I have created an 8 stage step sequencer by running an arpeggiator object into 8 transformers, which in turn run through a 9th transformer which is set to act as a gate. They can be cabled into numerous instrument tracks simultaneously, and there is quite a lot of cool stuff that can be done with random pitch and velocity with the transformers as well. I hope the above was of some use to you, if you want in more info just let me know.

Mar 9, 2010 11:09 AM in response to Alastair Hooley

I hate Apple Logic at times. Simple things never seem to be simple. And I admit to not wanting to read the whole 200+ page manual. But I DO read it.

I tried to figure out the arpeggiator. ( It was not at all obvious that you had to bring up the environment window to add it - which is why I don't find the manual user friendly.)

Anyway, I thought I dragged the proper cables to route the instrument to the arp back to the instrument. And it works, sort of. But even with repeat selected, it only repeats the arp once no matter how long I make the notes.

Logic Express 9 Arpeggiator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.