Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge Mail from two computers

I have two computers - a laptop and an iMac - that each run Mail. On the laptop I have my Yahoo email set up for Mail with several folders, mailboxes, etc, the iMac is set up with my Gmail. I'm about to get rid of the laptop and want to merge all the Mail info from that into my iMac. How can I do that in a way that preserves my Mail settings on my laptop when I bring it into my iMac, but also without screwing up the Mail settings on my iMac?

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iMac Core2Duo Extreme Leopard

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 7:00 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2010 7:12 PM in response to Kevin Watterson

You can import mail from one computer to the other. Connect the two computers via Firewire cable. Boot the laptop into Target Disk Mode then boot the iMac normally. This will put an icon for the laptop's disk drive on the iMac's Desktop. Open Mail and select Import from the File menu. Select the top option for importing from Apple Mail. Then in the file dialog navigate to the /Home/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/ folder and select the folder then click on the Open button. Check the boxes for mailboxes you want to import and click on the Import button. A new section labeled "Imported" will appear in the Mail's sidebar in which you will find the imported mailboxes.

How to merge Mail from two computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.