Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup login screen at low resolution

-Problem: low resolution of login screen after power on.
-Additional info: If I log into the computer and log out, the login screen is back at high resolution
-Cause: I connected the mac pro via mini dvi to a low resolution beamer
Then I turned off the computer and now I'm stuck with this problem
- Helppp

Mac Pro (2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 7:53 AM

Try resetting PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
7 replies

Mar 1, 2010 3:35 PM in response to V.K.

I just read that "the dvd-region is also kept in PRAM. If the PRAM is being reset, than you can't change the dvd-region". The dvd-region will be reset to fabrics defaults - that might be not my region.

So if I'm doing what you suggest than my first problem might be fixed but suppose the dvd-region is changed then I'll have to deal with a larger problem which is not being able to watch dvd's.

What does Apple mean by fabric -defaults? Is it the settings just as I received it when I bought my system?

Mar 1, 2010 6:21 PM in response to Etienne TSS

Etienne TSS wrote:
I just read that "the dvd-region is also kept in PRAM. If the PRAM is being reset, than you can't change the dvd-region". The dvd-region will be reset to fabrics defaults

no, it won't. this is completely wrong. resetting PRAM will have zero effect on the DVD region set for your DVD drive.

Mar 2, 2010 7:47 PM in response to Etienne TSS

Etienne TSS wrote:
Thanks for the advise. I was about to follow your instructions. Then came along another advise which seems to be less risky.

glad you fixed it but FYI resetting PRAM is NOT a risky operation. it's quite on par with just turning the computer off/on. it's an absolutely standard troubleshooting procedure which carries zero risk.
That solved the problem
However, I'm thankful for your effort in trying to help me. And I'll remember that the dvd-region setting will remain after a reset.
Thanks again

Startup login screen at low resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.