Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

14" iBook won't boot past Blue Screen?

Hi,

I have in my possession my Sisters 14" iBook G4. It boots with the grey Apple logo but then freezes at the blue screen. I'm guessing it's either the hard drive or logic board, does anyone have a procedure to follow to diagnose the fault? I don't have the original discs but do have a 10.5 retail box.

Thanks in advance.

iMac 24"Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 5:59 AM

Hey Mark,
Well put that Leopard DVD in there and see if it will boot from it. Either press "c" while booting or "option" and select the DVD.
Then after the initial screen where you select the language go to the "utilities" menu and open Disk Utility. Try to repair the disk (if you can see it) and also permissions.
See if that helps.
Otherwise do you need to retrieve information from the hard drive?
If so try target mode:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661
You'll need another Mac w/ FireWire.
Richard
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2010 5:59 AM in response to Mark Thornton

Hey Mark,
Well put that Leopard DVD in there and see if it will boot from it. Either press "c" while booting or "option" and select the DVD.
Then after the initial screen where you select the language go to the "utilities" menu and open Disk Utility. Try to repair the disk (if you can see it) and also permissions.
See if that helps.
Otherwise do you need to retrieve information from the hard drive?
If so try target mode:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661
You'll need another Mac w/ FireWire.
Richard

Mar 3, 2010 11:11 AM in response to spudnuty

Hi,

Looks bad. I reset nvram the first time i turned it on and it booted ok but froze straight away.
After that it won't boot, just the grey screen with the apple logo and spinning flower, it won't boot of a disc either. I've also noticed the power light on the side keeps flicking from orange to green.
I also removed the ram and the airport card, all to no avail. Looks like it's the logic board!

Mar 4, 2010 8:45 AM in response to Mark Thornton

Hey Mark,
I've been looking round and i'm struggling to find a working 1.33ghz board, can i fit a 14" 1.3ghz board instead or does it have to be the same model?

That does sound like the same model. There never was a 1.3 GHz machine only the 1.33.
If you need more info you can email me.
I tried the pressure thing as seen on the link above and that kind of worked but not properly,

The Corey Arnold shim addresses the U28 chip which is different and in a different place from the GPU.
what do you mean by shim?

It's a piece of material to increase down pressure on the GPU. Unfortunately the GPU is under a large heat sink on top. The GPU is left of the RAM slot so you'd have to remove the sink to do that. I'm beginning to feel that that these failures since they're to do bad solder don't respond well to shimming.
See:
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/spudnuty/?action=view&current=ClassiciB ookBGAfailure.flv
This is a 1 GHz 14 " iBook that came in on donation. The initial symptom was random freezing after some time on. In doing life testing I saw a brief video anomaly. So then I "exercising" the BGA by pressing on it which then resulted in what you see.
It's going for reball at Superior.
Richard

Mar 5, 2010 6:26 AM in response to Mark Thornton

Hey Mark,
However this iBook doesn't do the same thing as yours does in the clip, no distortion or flashing, just a blue screen.
And it freezes on the blue screen? Are we talking about two different issues and two different chips?

Don't think so. This iBook I have here had the same symptoms that you're seeing. There were no video anomolies at the beginning. Then during one test ( I was running the extended Apple hardware test) I saw a brief flash. So I "exercised" the GPU and the result is what you see there on my post. I think continued thermal stress would also cause this to happen on yours. So if it does diagnosis complete.
I believe the 1.33s have an issue w/ the actual chip itself. It was a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 4x AGP and I have one that failed here. The symptoms were completely different however. I have replaced failed chips in other iBooks notably the 9600 but the 9200 was apparently used only in the iBooks so there are no cheap PC graphics cards out there.
There is someone who has been doing reballing in the UK. They've been mentioned here on this forum.
Richard

Message was edited by: spudnuty

Mar 6, 2010 1:09 PM in response to Mark Thornton

Hello all,
I'm new to the discussion but here is my issue. I have an ibook g4 1.33ghz, 512mb, 80g hd purchased from ebay. I did a clean install of 10.5 when we got it and it ran fine for about a year. The battery is caput and it has to be plugged in to use but other than that it was fine. Then it started freezing after it had been on a while. I tried repairing permissions, froze during. I tried resetting pram pmu. I tried reinstalling and now it freezes during install. I replaced the hard drive, that was intense, still freezes during the install. Has anyone found whats going on?

Apr 10, 2010 6:27 PM in response to spudnuty

Spudnuty - I think you might want to hear this...

I just bought an ibook G4 1.2Ghz "Late 2004" model off of ebay, had the blue screen problem. I bought it because I thought it might have been the OS (freeze at login) and the previous owner didn't know, but it was an actual freeze... actually froze a few times while at the spinning wheel at startup, and would randomly display a dark blue screen sometimes at startup.

I am an ACMT, I decided to disassemble the machine as per the service manual and get it down to basically the logic board, even pulled off the top display entirely. Ran an external monitor via mini-VGA, external HD via Firewire... still froze at blue screen. So I decided something similar to your suggestion - I pulled off the heat sink, only to discover that the conventional way of cooling a cpu/gpu (heating compound directly under heat sink) had been abandoned on this model for some crappy adhesive pads. The pads had a bit of thickness to them, so I decided to cut of a small section of the top shield, fold it into a nice square and flatten it. I then put some heat sink compound on both the cpu and gpu, put the metal "shim" on the gpu and tightened down the heat sink. Guess what? Started up in a jiffy. I put a fresh install of Tiger on it, have been playing multiple Quicktime vids looped for a while now... machine is going strong.

All that to say, shimming works on these later ibook G4 models that get the blue screen, I've confirmed it. Just remove the adhesive pads, shim with something heat conductive (maybe even aluminum foil!), add heat compound and run it for a while.

14" iBook won't boot past Blue Screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.