Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Cannot Empty Trash

2187 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2010 1:21 AM by rdub44 RSS
Wycliffe Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 1, 2010 7:44 PM
Rightly or wrongly, i copied several old backup files from my Time Machine to the Trash.

Now, I cannot empty my Trash. I get a message that says: The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003).

and so the files sit there eating up valuable hard drive space...any clues on how to fix this?
17" MacBook Pro Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.9)
  • iVmichael Level 6 Level 6 (13,725 points)
    Mar 1, 2010 8:30 PM (in response to Wycliffe)
    Have you tried Finder/Secure Empty Trash ?

Do you mean copied or moved I wonder

2.4 Ghz 15" 4GB RAM 500GB/7200 Unibody MBP; iPods, iPhones, AppleTV, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Assorted other Mac's and PC's running OSX, Linux, WinXP, Win7
    Mar 1, 2010 8:41 PM (in response to Wycliffe)
    Can you move the items from the Trash to the Desktop, or to another volume or does that also fail ?

Are there odd characters in the items names by any chance ? If so drag them out, name them "rubbish1", "rubbish2" etc then put them back in the Trash and delete again.

2.4 Ghz 15" 4GB RAM 500GB/7200 Unibody MBP; iPods, iPhones, AppleTV, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Assorted other Mac's and PC's running OSX, Linux, WinXP, Win7
    Mar 1, 2010 9:07 PM (in response to Wycliffe)
    +cannot rename them either+

OK that's sounding like Permissions - Get Info on them and then look at 'Sharing & Permissions' at the bottom - try and set Read & Write for them all (you might be asked for admin password)

Mar 1, 2010 9:24 PM (in response to Wycliffe)
    Can you click the padlock and enter admin password ?

As an aside but possibly related note, is the Time Machine volume they came from still Mounted or not ?

You could try this Force Empty Trash software but I suspect it will fail as the files weren't from the Boot drive ...

• rdub44 Calculating status...
    May 30, 2010 1:21 AM (in response to Wycliffe)
    Click the Time Machine icon in the Dock.

If the Time Machine icon isn’t in the Dock, look for Time Machine in the Applications folder.

Use the arrows or the timeline along the right side of your screen to browse through the backups Time Machine has created.

The windows behave just like Finder windows, so you can open folders, click items in the sidebar, and use the search field in the upper-right corner of the window.

When you find the item you want to delete, select it, and then open the Action menu (looks like a gear) and choose Delete All Backups for the item.

Finally 'Empty Trash' in the Finder menu.
    Powerbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.