Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timeout when logging into 5ghz separate network.

Hello,

I just bought a brand new Airport Extreme for the sole reason of having a separate 5ghz network for my macbook while keeping another network for my iphones and older laptops.

I set everything up, set up a new network name for the 5ghz network, but when I try to connect to this network, I type the WPA password, click connect, but then the conection times out with a simple "timeout error".

What am I doing wrong?
If I set up the same network name for 11g and 11n modes, then my laptop will only connect through 11g at 54mbps.

Did I just waste 140 euro? 😟

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa 2.4 ghz 4gb ram 160gb hdd + iMac 2.2ghz, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 11:46 AM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2010 12:28 PM in response to Jose M Olaya

Welcome to the discussions!

+I set everything up, set up a new network name for the 5ghz network, but when I try to connect to this network, I type the WPA password, click connect, but then the conection times out with a simple "timeout error".+

You don't need to setup a separate 5 GHz network. That is already being done for you. By default, the AirPort Extreme will broadcast dual bands at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz with the same network name (SSID).

Your computer will automatically choose the best quality connection. If your computer connects at 5 GHz, then the other devices on the 2.4 GHZ band will not affect your computer's connection.

Are you trying to "force" your computer to connect to the 5 GHz network by assigning a separate name to this network?

Where is the computer located in relation to the AirPort Extreme? 5 GHz signals are not nearly as strong as 2.4 GHz signals and they are absorbed by any walls, ceilings, or obstructions much more quickly than 2.4 GHz signals. You almost need "line-of-sight" between your computer and the AirPort Extreme for 5 GHz to provide a better quality connection than 2.4 GHz.

Mar 2, 2010 1:03 PM in response to Jose M Olaya

Thanks for the clarification. This rules out an obstruction issue.

Suggest that you download a utility like Air Radar and use the Scan function at the lower right of the main application menu to identify the networks and channels that are being broadcasted.

You should see the name of each network if you have separate names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network, or if you are using the same SSID, you should see two separate listings with the same name. Is that what you see there?

Timeout when logging into 5ghz separate network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.