Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faces has reduced iPhoto to a CRAWL!

Help! I just upgraded yesterday to iLife '09. When I opened iPhoto, it began to perform the scan of all my photos for the Faces function. I have a large amount of photos (about 12K), so this took over two hours. When it finished, it reduced iPhoto to a crawl! Takes sometimes 15-20 seconds to perform one function, something as simple as selecting a photo or going from one Event to another.

I have a very fast Mac, a MacBook Pro with a 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo drive with 4 GB of RAM, running OS 10.6.2, with a 320 GB hard drive with about 130 GB free. It's usually a screamer. I have never had it to slow down like this.

Is there a way to optimize or streamline the Faces functionality? Or as a last resort, is there a way to undo it? Before now, my iPhoto ran great; now it's like a turtle.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4 GB RAM, 320 HD with 130 GB of free space

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 1:24 PM

You can try the following: launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys depressed to rebuild the library. Select the last three options.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Some things you can do to speed up iPhoto are: make sure you have sharing turned off in the iPhoto/Sharing preference pane/; in iPhoto's Web pane set Check for new published photos to "Manually"; in the Photos mode have Event titles showing and close all but those you're using at the time.

Finally, send a feature request to Apple to let the user determine if they want faces or not via http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html.

User uploaded file
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2010 1:24 PM in response to Infomaniac

You can try the following: launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys depressed to rebuild the library. Select the last three options.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Some things you can do to speed up iPhoto are: make sure you have sharing turned off in the iPhoto/Sharing preference pane/; in iPhoto's Web pane set Check for new published photos to "Manually"; in the Photos mode have Event titles showing and close all but those you're using at the time.

Finally, send a feature request to Apple to let the user determine if they want faces or not via http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html.

User uploaded file

Faces has reduced iPhoto to a CRAWL!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.