Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artwork not updating after adding in iTunes.

1. Select a song in your iTunes Library that does not have album Artwork.
2. Upload that song to the iPod.
3. Add Artwork to the song in iTunes.
4. Update your iPod.

No album Artwork on the iPod.

I realize the artwork is stored in the song file itself, but isn't iTunes smart enough to know that the file has changed and it should synchronize it?

I don't want to have to manually add my album art to each album on BOTH my iTunes Library and my iPod... that's a huge pain!

Any idea how this can be done? Is this a bug? Did Apple intend for "update" to truly update existing files (or only synchronize files if they do not exist?)

Mac mini. OSX 10.4 30g 5G iPod, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Nov 17, 2005 11:27 AM

5 replies

Nov 17, 2005 11:46 AM in response to Brian Dieckman

You do not need step 2 but otherwise what you are doing should update the artwork (and any other changes such as playcount rating etc) so you need to check two things:

1) as the other poster suggested that you have teh show artwork checked in preferences.
2) you are not manually updating - if you are you have to delete the original song (no artwork) from you iPod and add back the changed (i.e. with artwork) version (for songs not all ready on iPOd just skip your step 2 and problem should be resolved)

Nov 17, 2005 12:24 PM in response to peeble

1) as the other poster suggested that you have teh
show artwork checked in preferences.

I do, and it does display artwork for songs that already have artwork before they're uploaded.

2) you are not manually updating - if you are you
have to delete the original song (no artwork) from
you iPod and add back the changed (i.e. with artwork)
version (for songs not all ready on iPOd just skip
your step 2 and problem should be resolved)

I see, that's the problem there. I don't automatically update, because my music library contains songs that I don't necessarily want to put on my iPod.

Bummer.

Do you know how to maintain two Libraries? Like one library exclusively for auto-updating the iPod and another with everything? I can handle the movement from ALL library to iPod library manually... It seems redundant, but it would make my life so much easier!

Thanks for both of your replies... very helpful!

Nov 17, 2005 6:36 PM in response to Sara.M.

Excellent!

When you select "update only the selected playlists..." you get a warning box saying that all your content will be deleted and updated from your library, yadda yadda... I took that to mean it would upload the ENTIRE library.

"Slim" is now being auto-synched... I'll give the album artwork test a shot after it finishes!

Thank you so much.

Artwork not updating after adding in iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.