You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FLV file with metadata

Hi,

I used to create FLV files under windows with Sorenson. I had to inject metadata in the FLV files so, once online, users can browse the timeline and stream those files from any point in the timeline. To do this I used FLVMDI (FLV metadata injector).
With compressor, as explained in this forum, I use quicktime H264 setting to create FLV files. I tried various solutions to inject metadata in the resulting FLV files (flvtool, flv duration...) but cannot get it ok. I even tried to copy one file to a PC and inject metadata with FLVMDI but got the following error:
Reading FLV header
An error occured.

It seems that FLV files created with compressor have a problem with the header. As a result, it is impossible to inject metadata.
So is there a way to get a FLV file with metadata from compressor?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 1:54 AM

15 replies

Mar 31, 2010 8:50 PM in response to NHerby

It's funny to see how such a simple problem can be easily fixed under windows & how it is impossible to have any help with a mac!!!!!

I'm really sorry if I woke up someone in the support team (if such a team have ever existed).

BTW, I've noticed another problem with FLV files created with compressor: when playing files online, the sound is not synchronized with the image. I don't dare to create a new post here. I may just lose my time writing this for nothing.

To conclude, I will soon throw this ****** & useless compressor to the trash, go back to a windows computer, and resume my work flow as it used to work. Maybe in a few years, compressor will be able to handle video compression in a professional manner. But today, it's just a piece of ****, and the (ghost) support smells the same!

Apr 2, 2010 2:31 AM in response to NHerby

These help forums are supported by people like you and me. So are there no support teams from Apple for these forums.

As for FLV... Flv's is not an Apple supported format. If your using Adobe FLV plugin to make FLV's in Compressor and your having problems contact Adobe and ask them if there a fix.

If your making an h.264 and then changing the file extension to .flv and your having problems, contact Adobe and see if there a fix.

Personally I've never had a problem making flv's in compressor using the flv plugin. And the same holds true when changing the .mov extension to .flv.

If you want to add media data to a flv. Again contact Adobe and ask them how to do this.

With such language how do you expect someone to help you. Compressor isn't a piece of s**t as you have stated that is.

Message was edited by: David M Brewer

May 11, 2010 1:04 AM in response to David M Brewer

At least, an answer...

Dear David. I didn't know that this forum is not supported by apple. Stupid me! I simply supposed that apple did care about his customers... What a strange idea, isn't it?

Back to my problem (still unsolved), I use compressor to create h264 files that I rename in FLV. I found this trick on this forum. So why should I contact Adobe? I don't think they have anything to do with the h264 codec development. Adobe gives support for the VP6 codec. But I didn't buy this plugin for compressor since I already have VP6 support coming with adobe media encoder in CS4. In the end it is quite funny! I buy an apple product, ask for support on apple.com and get redirected to one their biggest competitor.

However, my problem is not the creation of such files. The problem is, to make those files compliant with the pseudostreaming protocol used on my server, I need to add metadata in the file. Here's a link where you can find detailed info on how this works: http://flowplayer.org/plugins/streaming/pseudostreaming.html
I've tried many times to do this with compressor in many different ways but, so far, I can't even figure out whether it is possible or not.

I've managed to do this on a PC, or with files encoded with third party software on OSX. But, since I edit the videos with FCP (witch is a very nice soft), I want to do it on compressor to avoid losing precious time & precious disk space with intermediate files each time I export a video.
I don't think that I have a particularly complicate work-flow: edit -> send to compressor -> encode -> publish on internet. But FCS doesn't fulfill this basic need and no support...
Maybe this lack of support is to force customers to subscribe to the applecare pro video support. In this case, the answer to this basic question would cost me 800box! Thank you apple!

Message was edited by: N'Herby

May 11, 2010 6:47 AM in response to N'Herby

The point you're missing is that creating a .mov and changing the file extension to .flv is NOT creating a flash movie. You're creating a file that can be played by a flash player. It does not necessarily have to behave like an flv in any other way, just be playable. If you want all the rest of the functionality of flash, go out and get flash. And quit your whining, it's boring.

May 11, 2010 7:20 AM in response to N'Herby

Of course this forum is supported by Apple. Apple created it and pays many thousands of dollars (and other currency denominations in other countries) to maintain it. They even provide Apple employees to moderate the use of this forum.

What they don't do is assign Apple employees to monitor and respond to questions posed by forum users. We volunteers handle that end of it.

To clarify the Flash side of your question, I'd like to use an analogy of sorts. Using an Apple computer, you can find a pair of shoes to buy or even order a pizza online.

However, that does not mean Apple supports pizza ordering. Pizza ordering is supported by 3rd parties, not by Apple. As David advised you, Flash is not supported by Apple, so you need to call Adobe for Flash. That is the correct answer. You might not like that answer, but your like or dislike does not the fact that it is the correct answer.

May 11, 2010 7:48 AM in response to Jim Cookman

I'm aware that renaming the .mov in .flv doesn't change the codec used to create the video. Take a look at the link in my previous post and a look at my first post and you'll see what I'm talking about.
My point is that the seek function works with flash video (VP6 codec from adobe) but I need to use a third party software to encode and a PC to inject metadata.
This function should also work with h264 files from compressor (you know the .mov renamed in .flv) but it doesn't.
After spending hours on this, I found that in my case, the problem may come from what is called the "moov atom". It is the header of the file and it needs to be at the begenning of the file.
Knowing this, I still feel miles away from a solution. I'll try in the following days to look also on the server side.

May 11, 2010 8:21 AM in response to Brian Conner

Creating and maintaining a forum can be achieved by anybody. This is not what I call user support. Having a few employees to moderate the forum is definitively the minimum they can do. They could even sub-contract this to any IT company.

I used to work for a website as forum animator. I was paid not only to moderate but also to give answers to users and make the forum living and usefull.

I'm sure that apple doesn't do this to sell more applecare and that's a shame!

Back to our shoes and pizzas, as mentionned in a previous post, I use compressor to create FLV with H264 & AAC codec. I don't use the flash codec from adobe. It's not that I like or dislike your answer, the fact is that it is not the good answer. I repat: I do not use the VP6 codec from adobe, I use H264 codec for the video and AAC for the audio.
However, if I find a problem on the server side with the flash player, I may ask adobe.

May 11, 2010 8:35 AM in response to N'Herby

N'Herby wrote:
After spending hours on this, I found that in my case, the problem may come from what is called the "moov atom". It is the header of the file and it needs to be at the begenning of the file.

Which preset are you using to create the H.264? Don't use the iPhone/Apple TV H.264 presets - use the QuickTime 7 H.264 presets instead. To get the moov atom to appear at the start of the file, select Streaming: Fast Start.

But you may get better results from x264:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

May 11, 2010 7:25 PM in response to Jon Chappell

Jon Chappell wrote:
Which preset are you using to create the H.264? Don't use the iPhone/Apple TV H.264 presets - use the QuickTime 7 H.264 presets instead. To get the moov atom to appear at the start of the file, select Streaming: Fast Start.

I don't use an already existing preset. I've created one. I did choose "quicktime movie" from the list in the setting window. Then pick up the H264 codec for the video setting & the AAC for the audio setting and streaming mode is fast start. I think this is the correct setting. One thing I don't know for sure is witch option for the keyframe. I've heard that this setting has an impact for the streaming. Actually it is set to automatic.

My mistake was that I wanted to process the files from compressor the same way I did for the file with VP6 codec (flash video codec from adobe).
From what you say about the moov atom, I think more & more that the problem may come from the flash player on the server. A developper will take a look at that today.

Jon Chappell wrote:
But you may get better results from x264:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

Sounds interesting but why do you think that? How can I create X264 files with compressor? How to add this codec?

FLV file with metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.