Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24' Cinema Display with Dead Pixel

I just exchanged an LED Cinema Display under AppleCare for the blinking/cord problem. Got the new one set up and see that it has a dead pixel. Is there a fix for these, especially being brand new, or do I have to exchange this one too?

Running tests it is very visible on a black background, then blue, and slightly on a green background. Red and white backgrounds make it so that the pixel is not a visible problem.

iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPhones, iPods, LED Cinema Display, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 4:24 PM

9 replies

Mar 24, 2010 6:02 AM in response to Donald

Hi guys,
could you kindly verify whether your screen have uniform color?
On my 24" led cinema display I realized that moving a white Word sheet all over the screen, in some areas it is neutral, in other areas (lower right corner) it has a greenish tint.
Has someone else experienced the same problem?
(Please before answering test the issue in the same way I did!).
Thanks for your answers.
Stefano

Mar 24, 2010 2:16 PM in response to Donald

When I chose my LED Display, I refused two monitors because of dead pixels (green pixels on full filled white background). All of them I tried to order in on-line shops.

When I found out that Apple use LG panels for the LED Display and I understood that I have to go to the off-line shop and choose the display by myselfl. I met 2 years ago with usual LG TFT displays on my work - they all had dead pixels. (IMHO, LG is not good).

I came to one shop and there were 2 Apple LED displays - one at the exposition and one in the storehouse. Of course I wanted new one from storehouse and let manager know beforehand about not going to buy if dead pixels. He brought up the display from storehouse, unpacked, plugged and I personally start to check. I changed the background to whole white and pointed into two green pixels. "***", - I said to the manager - couldn't believe that the display costs crazy money (in Ukraine - $1400-1500) and everyone with dead pixels!

I also have 20" NEC display with perfect IPS panel that I bought 3 years ago for $800. And I should leave the buying of the Apple LED Display and back to my favourite and proven NEC it could be the right decision as you'll see below .

But the manager offer me to check the exhibition example - he assured me that exhibition one is also absolutely new and stood only 5 days in the shop. We plug it, set the background to white and ... "O, miracle! No dead pixels! After three checked displays! Can't belive!" - and this one was really total perfect.

So I forgot about to buy new NEC instead of Apple display. Brought Apple LED Display to home, connected to my brand new MBP 13, compared to my old NEC - everythnig was perfect, colors and overall picture are better than old NEC.

I was happy ... BUT JUST FOR ONE WEEK! It started to blink/flash/blackout - this is the known problem as I found out later: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1902288&tstart=0

I'm very disappointed because I realize that if I give it for guarantee service and they offer me to change it - I'm sure that I'll got the display with dead pixels and I don't want it! So I hope that it the software/firmware trouble and it'll be fixed in the next MacOS update. If no - it'll be the disaster because I'll not be able to return the display and give my money back from the one hand (under Ukrainian laws the money back period of goods is 14 days), and I don't want to give the guarantee replacement with dead pixels!

Sorry for large text I had to to unburden myself!

Mar 25, 2010 2:11 AM in response to vsaua

Vi Vsaua,
sorry for your inconvenient. However, what i refer to is not a problem of dead pixels (by the way, I haven't found them in any of the three display I have replaced), but the uniformity of the colors over the screen. In the lower right side of the screen it is "more green" than in other areas of the screen. Have you found something similar with yours?

24' Cinema Display with Dead Pixel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.