2772 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2010 7:07 AM by talmy0
Macbook + adapter + projector WORKS
iMac + (same) adapter + (same) projector NO SIGNAL
Next thing to try is iMac + adapter to another display. Certainly seems like a problem in the iMac's mini-DisplayPort output. Of course, if the MacBook used another adapter, like mini-DVI, it could be the adapter.
My experience has always been they just work without fussing around.
Answers to following may help me or others to point you in right direction:
1. Do you have the projector owner's manual ?
2. Is the projector within the warranty period?
3. Model number and year purchased new of the View Sonic.
4. Aspect ratios supported by you projector? ( ie 16:10, 16:9, 4:3 ) owner's manual
5. Resolutions supported by your projector? ( ie 1024x680,1024x640,840x524 etc etc ) owners manual.
6. What is resolution for projector currently set at?
7. What is the projector's aspect ratio presently set for?
8. Imac model, model year and screen size.
9. Resolution sizes supported by your iMac ( go sys pref>display)
10. Have you matched the projectors resolution to the same resolution on the iMac?
11. Aspect ratio of your iMac ( my 24" 2007 is 16:10 , believe movies are 16:
12. Are you trying to mirror the images ( see same picture on iMac and on projector at same time) ?
13. Lap Top Model, model year and screen size?
14. Aspect ratio for your lap top?
15. Resolution presently set for lap top?
16. Movies commercial ?
17. If not commercial what aspect ratio and resolution were they created in?
I'm just a beginner as respects Projectors and have spent the last week researching and talking with Epson Pre- Sales Tech Support ( who have been just fantastic in patience and in the ability to explain things, way to go Epson ! ) and these were some of the considerations/discussions we had to help determine use and which projector to consider. Think your answer might lie in the answers to the above questions. Don't know if I can fit the pieces together but perhaps some more knowledgeable will read your answers and come to your aid.
Thanks for replying. Both the imac 2008 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OSX 10.5.8 and the mac book 2008 black 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OSX 10.5.8 have mini-DVI outputs for displays and I used the same adapter and cables.
The projector is a ViewSonic PJ506D 2006 the resolution is 800x600 60hz and the ratio is 4:3 or 16x9 or 1x1
Again, on macbook no problem with the projector
with the imac
it doesn't sense that there is a projector
I love macs because they just work. This doesn't. I wish my experience were like yours and that it would just work without the fussing around.
I am wondering: is this a software problem?
Unlikely a software problem. Try your iMac with another external display to verify that the DVI port in the iMac is working.
Display/projector resolution doesn't matter as they report back their capabilities to the computer which sets the resolution appropriately. They've been doing that for at least a decade now.