Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a DVI-I (Female) be plugged into a DVI-D (male)?

Hi there, sorry if I am in the wrong forum/sub forum, but anyway,
I have an iMac that has a mini displayport in the back, and I want to get an adapter.

The adapter that I'm looking at is a Mini Displayport to DVI-I (Female).
This adapter is different from the one on Apple.com (I think..), as the one on apple is Mini Displayport to DVI-D (Female).

*My question is: Can I plug in a DVI-D(Male) into the adapter that is DVI-I(Female)?*

I have been hearing both yes and no, so please if you have any evidence that would be great.

I am leaning towards the yes, because dvi-i supports analog and digital,
while DVI-D is just digital..

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/sldldvi.jpg
For all of you, there is a picture of DVI-D, and DVI-I (in dual link, too)
My question does not concern dual link, as I understand dual link = better performance output.

here is a chart of DVI ends
Thanks!

Message was edited by: keith182

iMac (Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2010 12:28 AM

5 replies

Mar 6, 2010 1:10 AM in response to keith182

The adapter that I'm looking at is a Mini Displayport to DVI-I (Female).

The analog pins of the DVI-I connector are probably not connected to anything, so it won't give you anything more that a DVI-D adapter would.
This adapter is different from the one on Apple.com (I think..), as the one on apple is Mini Displayport to DVI-D (Female).

*My question is: Can I plug in a DVI-D(Male) into the adapter that is DVI-I(Female)?*

Yes.
I have been hearing both yes and no, so please if you have any evidence that would be great.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital VisualInterface>
"It is possible, however, to connect a male DVI-D cable to a female DVI-I connector."
I am leaning towards the yes, because DVI-I supports analog and digital,
while DVI-D is just digital.

But that adapter is unlikely to provide any analog video.

Can a DVI-I (Female) be plugged into a DVI-D (male)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.