Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a DVI-I (Female) be plugged into a DVI-D (male)?

Hi there, sorry if I am in the wrong forum/sub forum, but anyway,
I have an iMac that has a mini displayport in the back, and I want to get an adapter.

The adapter that I'm looking at is a Mini Displayport to DVI-I (Female).
This adapter is different from the one on Apple.com (I think..), as the one on apple is Mini Displayport to DVI-D (Female).

My question is: Can I plug in a DVI-D(Male) into the adapter that is DVI-I(Female)?

I have been hearing both yes and no, so please if you have any evidence that would be great.

I am leaning towards the yes, because dvi-i supports analog and digital,
while DVI-D is just digital..

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/sldldvi.jpg
For all of you, there is a picture of DVI-D, and DVI-I (in dual link, too)
My question does not concern dual link, as I understand dual link = better performance output.

here is a chart of DVI ends
Thanks!

iMac (Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2010 12:42 AM

7 replies

Mar 6, 2010 6:39 AM in response to keith182

I think that you can physically plug the DVD (D) plug into the DVI (I) socket, but whether it will work is another question. It is physically impossible the other way around, you cannot plug a DVI (I) plug into the DVI (D) socket because the ground bar on the DVI (I) plug is wider than on the DVI (D), plus it has the four extra pins around it.

Why run the risk, just get the Apple or 3rd party m-DVI to DVI (D) adapter.

Dah•veed
User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2010 1:01 PM in response to Dah•veed

Thank you, that was helpful, and although there are many places to buy adapters, it still does not answer my question: Will I get a video signal if I plug in a DVI-I (female) to a DVI-D (male)?

I have actually decided to skip the adapter, and buy a mini displayport to DVI-D (MALE) that is 6ft long, so there is no need for the adapter.

Still curious though.

Mar 6, 2010 1:22 PM in response to keith182

My above post should read US$14 to 19.

Not having the devices to experiment I cannot speak from experience, and I do not recall anyone else posting with info along these lines. Thinking out loud, it would seem that the DVI (I) adapter would confuse the Mac. The adapters are more than just crossover cables, they are electronic devices with firmware that communicate with the Mac. The default for the Mac is usually digital video output, but for example, the mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter prompts the Mac to switch to analog video output.

The six foot device you mention must actually be an adapter or I cannot see it working for you because it would need to be switching m-DP output to DVI output.

Dah•veed

Mar 6, 2010 1:37 PM in response to Dah•veed

It is still an adapter, I just meant it ends in male, and is 6ft long...The adapters on here are a few inches long and end in female, which means you need a cable to plug in anyway.

As for your analog/digital.
DVI-I sends out info in BOTH analong and digital.
DVI-D sends out info in JUST digital.
so if the adapter is analog/digital and the cable is digital, it should work, as it does fit.

Can a DVI-I (Female) be plugged into a DVI-D (male)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.