Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fraudulent charges

noob question, I have searched... where is the best starting point for fraudulent charges to my iTunes account. I'm locked out and cannot view any of my account info, and my Credit Card shows $215 in charges in the last week, I obviously didn't make since I have been locked out. I've closed the CC account for fraud, but I want to find out more about what happened.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 8, 2010 1:35 PM

18 replies

Mar 8, 2010 1:46 PM in response to sandman74

Depending on why the account was "locked" and by whom, you can contact the iTunes Store Customer Service department using the form on their Support page (select the category and subcategory closest to the issue you're reporting) and see if you can get access to your account again. But the only information you'll see is the Purchase History, which will tell you what was purchased and when but give you no other information.

Beyond that, any action would be up to your credit card issuer.

Regards.

Mar 12, 2010 12:06 PM in response to sandman74

How does Apple know the charges are fraudulent, just because you say so? No merchant will reverse charges on a purchase just because the user claims they didn't make the purchase. Only the credit card company can work with the merchant and resolve issues of fraudulent charges.

You need to be working with your card issuer to resolve this problem.

Mar 14, 2010 9:36 AM in response to sandman74

I don't think anyone has questioned the validity of your claim. They have offered the normal 'common' sense approach to resolving issues over charges to your CC account by others. This would would be what you would have to do with any merchant. The iTS is like any other merchant.

iTunes support is not the same as the iTunes Store support - which is web based only. That is why you were directed the Support Page and offered the suggestion to find the support link that best fits your needs.

To answer the possible question - Do I work for Apple - no - but I do own a few shares of Apple stock.

MJ

Mar 15, 2010 7:02 AM in response to sandman74

don't tell me they can't be reached by phone, call 800-275-2273 opt 6 and ask for iTunes support,

As Mike said, that is support for the iTunes application, NOT for support for the iTunes Store which, as I said, has no phone support.

and who are you to question the validity of my claim?

I question nothing about your claim. I merely point out that no merchant is likely to accept a claim of fraud just on the user's verbal report. In almost all cases the merchant will direct you to your credit card issuer to deal with the problem.

The resolution is, as I said, to work through your credit card company. No other course of action is likely to yield you any results. You can attempt to contact the iTunes Store via the web form I linked to, but based on reports from other users who've similarly had fraudulent charges, their response is likely to be just what you're already gotten; pay off the balanced owed and then, if the credit card company verifies that the charge was indeed fraudulent, they'll refund your money.

May 7, 2010 9:48 AM in response to sandman74

I'm not thrilled that Apple wants the money more than they value customer security. When my account was hacked - my credit card was used to open another account on iTunes - they did nothing to question:
1. That two accounts had the same credit card information
2. That suddenly a credit card went from purchasing $2 a week on iTunes to $250 in 3 days.

That's pretty poor security, but you can see that they'd rather keep the money flowing than ask questions about purchases.

Fraudulent charges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.