Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not syncing selected playlists, choosing songs from all playlists

I have some smaller iPods that I use on random occasions. When I sync them, I choose the following options:

Sync Music:
Selected Playlists, artists, genres
Music Videos - Not Checked
Automatically fill free space with songs - Checked

I have two playlists from which I wish a selection to be made, which exceeds the size of the iPod (they were designed for larger devices synced with this machine). When I attempt to Sync, I get a message saying that the iPod is too small, and would I like iTunes to automatically choose songs to sync. If I click no, the sync is canceled. If I click yes to have a subset of my two playlists automatically choosen, the ipod will sync, but then iTunes clears all of my selected playlists and starts syncing songs from all playlists.

This seems like a bug in iTunes to me, as it is not performing the requested options. Has anyone else experienced this, or know how to get it fixed? Or to get a bug report sent in to Apple? I have been going all over the place on their support page, and since this isn't an issue with the iPod, but with iTunes, I haven't been able to find a support avenue.

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2010 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2010 3:03 PM

This seems like a bug in iTunes to me, as it is not performing the requested options.

Yes, it is working correctly.
iTunes creates a new playlist that will fit, based on your entire library.
It does not make a selection based on the two playlists you originally chose to sync.
You can create your own smart playlist to do this and sync only this playlist.

Match any rule:
Playlist is {playlist 1 name}
Playlist is {playlist 2 name}
Select xxxxMB by Random

(playlist 1 and 2 above are the two playlist you want music form)
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2010 3:03 PM in response to Nicholas Pattison

This seems like a bug in iTunes to me, as it is not performing the requested options.

Yes, it is working correctly.
iTunes creates a new playlist that will fit, based on your entire library.
It does not make a selection based on the two playlists you originally chose to sync.
You can create your own smart playlist to do this and sync only this playlist.

Match any rule:
Playlist is {playlist 1 name}
Playlist is {playlist 2 name}
Select xxxxMB by Random

(playlist 1 and 2 above are the two playlist you want music form)

Mar 8, 2010 7:55 PM in response to Chris CA

I do respect Chris' answer here and his recommendations, however this seems to be very counter-intuitive behavior for iTunes. Not something I would expect from Apple. If this is Apple's desired performance, I should not be able to select the option for "Automatically fill free space" when "selected playlists, artists and genres" is selected.

So in my mind, the bug remains and is one of two things:
1) The fact that iTunes it is not obeying the selected options on the screen, or
2) iTunes is allowing users construct an unhonorable set of choices out of four options. If "Selected playlists, artists and genres" is not compatible with "Automatically fill free space," then that option should be grayed out. This is very simple programming when you only have four options to choose from.

Mar 8, 2010 8:18 PM in response to Nicholas Pattison

Suggestions here -> iTunes application feedback

You have it selected to *sync selected playlists* and those playlists are not syncing to the iPod?
however this seems to be very counter-intuitive behavior for iTunes

It can be kind of confusing.
I suggest it's not a bug in that it is acting as it's supposed to.
The option (Fill free space) could be made clearer. Perhaps if they added "with songs at random from the entire library" or somehow added an option to select what the free space will be filled with.)
1) The fact that iTunes it is not obeying the selected options on the screen

Not supposed to do that.
If the playlists all fit and there is free space, what would iTunes use to fill the free space if it only used selected items?
2) iTunes is allowing users construct an unhonorable set of choices out of four options. If "Selected playlists, artists and genres" is not compatible with "Automatically fill free space," then that option should be grayed out.

It is compatible.
If there is free space after your selections are added, what should iTunes use to fill the free space? It shouldn't fill the free space with stuff already on the iPod.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.