Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Staff user account

I am learning more about user accounts but noticed that a folder I created had "staff" user associated with Read-Only. Can anyone please explain why is staff there and can I delete it. Also, is Admin user and Administrator the same? I noticed, too, that Everyone was setup in the user profile. If I delete this and only leave Admin or Administrator, will it mean I have rights to it, exclusively ?

Thanks, I am looking for more info on the need to have staff in the User profile window.

iMac 24"

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 8:46 PM

staff is a group not a user. it's the default group for every user in leopard and snow leopard. do not touch and don't delete it. it's quite normal to see it. by default all files and folders you create should have staff group with read permissions.
3 replies

Mar 9, 2010 8:50 PM in response to MiamiMacUser

Staff is the default user group for you that is assigned for files and folders that do not have admin group membership. For example if you install an application by drag and drop it automatically takes on the following privileges:

Owner=you with r/w
Group=staff (which is just you) with r/w
Everyone with read-only

An application installed via the Apple package installer takes on the default privileges of the Applications folder which are:

Owner=system with r/w
Group=admin with read only
Everyone with read-only

A good rule to follow is "Don't change permissions unless you really know what you are doing." If you have permissions problems related to system files installed by the OS X installer, then use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

The "admin" group consists of all users who have administrator accounts. Removing the Everyone entry will not give you any rights and should not be done.

Another good rule: "Leave well enough alone."

What is Staff user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.