Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lingering sustain issue in MainStage 2.1.1

Thanks, Apple, for addressing such a significant list of fixes addressed in this update.

There is one frustrating issue that I confirmed is not yet resolved (for me at least). The issue occurs when I do the following:

1. Play some notes and sustain them with the sustain pedal. For example, on an acoustic piano patch
2. Switch patches in MainStage, for example to an electric piano patch
3. Release the sustain pedal
4. (At this point you would play some notes with the new patch)

When the sustain pedal is released in #3, the notes from the previous patch (acoustic piano in my scenario) should stop sounding. Unfortunately, they continue to play. The only way to silence them is to wait for the sustain to die out (assuming the patch has a decay time) or to hit the MIDI panic button. Not good.

One workaround is to use the "Instantly Silence Previous Patch" option. This works but it requires you to be much more precise about when you change the patch so it doesn't sound wrong. This can be very difficult when you have patch changes in quick succession with no time in between. An example of this is having a whole note in one measure that you would sustain while changing to the next patch to be ready to play at the beginning of the next.

This worked correctly in MainStage 1.0.2 but has been broken at least since MainStage 2.1 (I don't know about 2.0 and 2.0.1).

I'm surprised that I haven't seen much mention of this issue. Can anyone else confirm that they are having the same issue?

Message was edited by: Jeff Krueger

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 10:49 AM

4 replies

Lingering sustain issue in MainStage 2.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.