Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

de-authorize a dead computer

My computer died just recently. It will not boot up. I just bought a new computer and I authorize my account in itunes. Is there anyway to de-authorize through itunes my dead computer? I know we could authorize up to 5 computers and I still have 3 more to go. I hope it will never come to this but what if I run into some bad luck and my next 4 computers dies with the authorization still intact with them. I was just wondering if there is a way.

HP, Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2010 10:39 AM

In a word, no.

Once you have reached 5 authorized computers and some of the authorized computers are no longer available to de-authorize from the computer, you can de-authorize all followed by re-authorizing the computer or computers current being used.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

+To deauthorize all computers associated with your account.+

+If you find you have reached 5 authorizations, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.+

+Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.+

+If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.+

+Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.+

+In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.+

+Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers, or if you have used this option within the last 12 months. If you need assistance on using this feature, please contact the iTunes Store support via email ( http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/).+
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2010 10:39 AM in response to ctter

In a word, no.

Once you have reached 5 authorized computers and some of the authorized computers are no longer available to de-authorize from the computer, you can de-authorize all followed by re-authorizing the computer or computers current being used.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

+To deauthorize all computers associated with your account.+

+If you find you have reached 5 authorizations, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.+

+Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.+

+If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.+

+Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.+

+In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.+

+Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers, or if you have used this option within the last 12 months. If you need assistance on using this feature, please contact the iTunes Store support via email ( http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/).+

Mar 10, 2010 1:36 PM in response to ctter

what Allan Sampson wrote above is what I was told when I inquired at my one to one training session at the Apple Retail store- they did tell me that IF for some reason i reached the 5 computer authorization twice within a year, that it might be possible to telephone Apple to have a computer de-authorized - (part of my question came about because Apple had just replaced a computer of mine - twice, so i seemed to be soon nearing the 5 computers authorized before the year was up . . .)

Mar 11, 2010 7:58 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks to both responses. This is good to know.

If you want to talk about coincidences, I was working on my new computer last night and then all of a sudden a message popped up saying "detected a hard disk problem". When I reboot, it said "hard disk error". Fortunately, I was still able get into my computer and all the data. The first thing I did was de-authorized my computer. I am taking it back to get a new computer. I am not having a good week. 😟

Mar 11, 2010 9:49 AM in response to ctter

A phone call is all it takes.

Just call Mac support if you need to have them do it for a lost or dead computer and they will, even though you don’t have 5 machines which is what you need to see the 'De-authorize All' button. Just call them!

They now restrict you to doing this just once a year to avoid abuse.

I don't know why Apple will not allow you to just see a list of your authorized computers and then select the one(s) you want to de-authroize.

de-authorize a dead computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.