Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 in x4 PCIe slot?

Greetings,

I'm not at all well versed in IT, so I am trying to find any information regarding whether or not I can install my NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 card into the #3 (x4) PCIe slot on my MacPro. Since I have read one could install 4 of these, taking up all the slots, then it must work in that regard, but I want to know if it will work as the only graphics card in that slot? I can't seem to find any information on what this card needs, other than what apple states, "PCIe 2.0 slot."

I am running a 8x video card, and I am also trying to spec out an 8 channel RAID. If I understand this right, I would need both of my x16 slots for these two, so can I run the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 in the x4 slot? I only run one 2048x1152 23" display off of this graphics card. If it does work, what kind of limitations will I have?

Thanks.

8-core 2.26 MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2010 10:19 PM

You want your main video card in slot 1 - it's 16 lanes wide.

The other two slots are only 4 lanes wide. A 16 lane card will physically fit in the other two slots, and the cards will work, but they will be much slower since they will have 1/4 the bandwidth.

Message was edited by: Eric Eskam
1 reply

Installing NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 in x4 PCIe slot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.