You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FIOS SPEEDS NEED OPTIMIZER

My FIOS should be 35/35 upload and download. Running test using speedtest & speakeasy, I never get those numbers. Verizon help support uses Microsoft / Explorer and they said I need a MAC OPTIMIZER. I did find a link to help with FIOS speeds at Apple Broadband Tuner. Still slow speeds, mostly the upload at 7-10 and download at 18-24. Would a third party optimizer for MAC help and what is suggested.

THANKS

Imac 24, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 24" imac, 4GB, 1T HD, macbook, iphone, ipod

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 9:28 AM

5 replies

Mar 11, 2010 7:34 PM in response to Jo Biscuits

How are you connected to your FiOS equipment?

Direct ethernet connection from you iMac to the FiOS device?

Ethernet to a home router (or switch) and the router/switch via ethernet to FiOS equipment?

WiFi 802.11g ??

WiFi 802.11n 2.4GHz ??

WiFi 802.11n 5GHz ??

Only ethernet or 802.11n 5GHz connection modes are capable of going at least 35Mbits/second.

802.11g or 802.11n (both using 2.4GHz) mostly top out around 25Mbits/second, assuming you are not experiencing WiFi interference from your neighbors, and cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, or line of sight walls with too much metal or other radio interfering materials.

Mar 12, 2010 7:31 AM in response to BobHarris

Thank for your reply.
I can connect directly to the FIOS router (ethernet cable).
Tried both direct connect and using airport on the imac.
I can use the wireless FIOS or my Netgear (piggybacked of the FIOS)
This is where it gets interesting.
At www.speedtest.net you can select different points to run the test.
New York is great at 35+ download and 24 upload.
But go to another area and results are much lower.
Then go to www.speadtest.verizon.net and results are better using their site.
I've also gone to this website: www.speakeasy
Every trial has different results.
Upload as low as 3.0 up to 24.0
Download as low as 12.0 and up to 35.0 (New York being the best connection)

Obviously the speeds are all over the place.
And since Verizon FIOS team suggested using an optimizer (which isn't offered in MAC OS) I guess there's nothing that can be done.
I was thinking of purchasing an N router (mine is a G router).
But I piggy backing off the Verizon FIOS router which is also a G router.
Thus I can select the FIOS router or my netgear G router.
I was told by Verizon that piggy backing of their router is a "through" connection and their router as a G would not slow down the new N router if piggybacked.
My concern is that usually the slowest item in a chain is the best result that you will get.
Thus would I be waisting my money purchasing a N router.

Thanks to all

Apr 2, 2010 6:52 AM in response to Jo Biscuits

For what its worth, I asked Verizon to take back their ActionTec router and allow me to connect directly to their ONT at the side of the house. They did and I basically installed my Cisco/Linksys RVS4000 router (not wireless) then hung my Airport Extreme and Airport Express off the RVS4000. I see much more consistent performance through this setup after pulling their ActionTec router from my environment. However, keep in mind that if you have FiOS TV, their receivers require IP addresses in order to get the "Guide" and if they were the same ones I used to have (before switching to DirecTV) they get their IP address via the Coax cable and not via the Ethernet port (go figure). If that's the case, they'll need to provide you with a Motorola box to hang off your Router and hook up to the coax system and will distribute IP addresses via Coax for you. Its a pain but if network performance is paramount, this is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, one more thing... Verizon's Tier-1 support won't help you with this, you'll need to request Tier-2 or Tier-3 and you can usually tell who you're talking to if they ask you to check if the "Wireless Modem" is turned on. (LOL) [FYI, no such thing as a Wireless Modem, they're technically an "Access Point".]

Hope this helps.

FIOS SPEEDS NEED OPTIMIZER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.