Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Slot Utility dialog every boot

I just upgraded my RAM in my SP Mac Pro to 12GB (3x4) and I'm loving it - except that the Memory Slot Utility dialog now comes up each time I boot SL. Any ideas what I can do to stop this?

Mac Pro (early 09), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 3:49 PM

27 replies

Mar 12, 2010 7:26 AM in response to The hatter

I figured if that were the case, there would be instruction in the dialog as noted in the manual, but perhaps not. It says they are placed correctly, though. /shrug

I suppose I could try to make them a different mix so it corrects me, and then correct the placement. There has to be an easier way, though. Surely that dialog can be flagged as viewed and not return. Is there still a PRAM to zap in these things?

Mar 22, 2010 10:08 PM in response to Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy wrote:
the Memory Slot Utility dialog now comes up each time I boot SL.

That definitely doesn't sound right. It came up once for me when I added more RAM, basically confirming I had everything installed correctly, and then never appeared again.

It almost sounds like the PRAM isn't updating with the new config.

And yes, it's still there and it can be reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

May 20, 2010 3:02 PM in response to Jeff Handy

My problem is just like the title says. This has been happening for over 4 months now. Been working with Apple for more then 2 months. Spent hours on the phone with 3 maybe 4 or more high level techs. Have had on site authorized Apple tech here 3 times and still have the Memory Slot..... window show up from time to time. The on site Tech and his boss feel have spent more time and money than it i worth to fix my machine. BTW - all the sim cards have been replaced twice. I feel and so does Tech and his boss it is time to have my machine replaced via my apple care. The person in Executive Customer Relations or Care Dept. does not feel this way and has been me jumping through loop after loop and I am now tired of this mess. It is now costing me time. ALL COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OR HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David tfphoto99@yahoo.com

Message was edited by: David_K99

Jun 22, 2010 4:37 AM in response to David_K99

My problem is just like the title says. This has been happening for over 4 months now. Been working with Apple for more then 2 months. Spent hours on the phone with 3 maybe 4 or more high level techs. Have had on site authorized Apple tech here 3 times and still have the Memory Slot..... window show up from time to time. The on site Tech and his boss feel have spent more time and money than it i worth to fix my machine. BTW - all the sim cards have been calcolatrice online replaced twice. I feel and so does Tech and his boss it is time to have my machine replaced via my apple care. The person in Executive Customer Relations or Care Dept. does not feel this way and has been me jumping through loop after loop and I am now tired of this mess. It is now costing me time. ALL COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OR HELP would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

My device is placed alone

Jun 22, 2010 8:13 AM in response to biosfera

If your Mac were much older, I would suspect that the button battery that maintains the parameters had gone dead. Do you, by any change, shut off the power strip at night? that can lead to premature failure.

In any case, removing and testing the button battery (BR 2032 Lithium Coin Cell) should be done. The Voltage should measure the same as a new battery (somewhere in excess of the nominal 3 Volts.)

Jun 22, 2010 12:40 PM in response to Jeff Handy

The utility is only supposed to come up if the system detects a change in the memory configuration. It may be a case where you have a DIMM that's intermittently not being detected at startup. The next time you reboot, it's seen again - and this registers as a "change" in the memory configuration, so the message comes up.

Try checking "About this Mac" before shutting down/restarting to confirm all RAM is being recognized each time to see whether this could explain the behavior.

You can also try testing with only the stock/original RAM in the system, to see if the message persists, as a means of isolating it to the added/3rd party RAM.

Memory Slot Utility dialog every boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.