Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Memory Slot Utility dialog every boot

20487 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2010 11:52 PM by Trailerman RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Jeff Handy Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 11, 2010 3:49 PM
I just upgraded my RAM in my SP Mac Pro to 12GB (3x4) and I'm loving it - except that the Memory Slot Utility dialog now comes up each time I boot SL. Any ideas what I can do to stop this?
Mac Pro (early 09), Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (39,305 points)
    Mar 11, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to Jeff Handy)
    Hi Jeff Handy;

Has the memory utility been added to the start on login list?

Some of the utility writers are so proud of their work they add then to start on login list so that you always see them.

Allan
    tiger
    MacBook Pro, PowerMac G5 Quad. iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 7800 GT, 6.5 GB RAM, 440 GB, Nikon N80, D70 and D300 Nikon Coolscan 5000ED
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (58,535 points)
    Mar 12, 2010 6:40 AM (in response to Jeff Handy)
    It should tell you why or suggest what to change, maybe leave empty a different slot.
    Mac Pro 8800GT 10K VelociRaptor, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Windows 7 i7 3.2GHz GTX 260-216
    Mar 12, 2010 7:59 AM (in response to Jeff Handy)
    I assume you removed and don't have anything other than the three 4GB (they don't mix).
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/memory/spn1066.html

Install video:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macpro2009mem/
    Mac Pro 8800GT 10K VelociRaptor, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Windows 7 i7 3.2GHz GTX 260-216
  • Martin Pace Level 5 Level 5 (5,075 points)
    Mar 12, 2010 9:25 AM (in response to Jeff Handy)
    Have you tried Repairing Permissions and doing a Disk Verify/Repair?
  • Eric Eskam Level 2 Level 2 (260 points)
    Mar 22, 2010 10:08 PM (in response to Jeff Handy)
    Jeff Handy wrote:
    the Memory Slot Utility dialog now comes up each time I boot SL.

That definitely doesn't sound right. It came up once for me when I added more RAM, basically confirming I had everything installed correctly, and then never appeared again.

It almost sounds like the PRAM isn't updating with the new config.

And yes, it's still there and it can be reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US
    Dual Quad Core Mac Pro, 15" MacBook Pro (L2008), PowerBook G4 12, Mac OS X (10.6.2), If you like my post please rate as helpful or solved - thanks!
  • David_K99 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My problem is just like the title says. This has been happening for over 4 months now. Been working with Apple for more then 2 months. Spent hours on the phone with 3 maybe 4 or more high level techs. Have had on site authorized Apple tech here 3 times and still have the Memory Slot..... window show up from time to time. The on site Tech and his boss feel have spent more time and money than it i worth to fix my machine. BTW - all the sim cards have been replaced twice. I feel and so does Tech and his boss it is time to have my machine replaced via my apple care. The person in Executive Customer Relations or Care Dept. does not feel this way and has been me jumping through loop after loop and I am now tired of this mess. It is now costing me time. ALL COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OR HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David tfphoto99@yahoo.com

Message was edited by: David_K99
    Mac Pro, Quad Processer 8Gigs Sims Capacity
  • David_K99 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    the above should read Hoop after Hoop not loop
    Mac Pro, Quad Processer 8Gigs Sims Capacity
    Jun 6, 2010 3:15 PM (in response to Eric Eskam)
    Hardware profile, ie, Device Tree list, is stored in nvram, not pram.

I'd reset SMC when changing hardware if there is a problem.

With RAM, I'd send it back to OWC. Must as they sell and people swear by (or at!) I stopped buying from them after repeated failures and slow to resolve.
    Mac Pro 8800GT 10K VelociRaptor, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Windows 7 i7 3.2GHz GTX 260-216
  • biosfera Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My problem is just like the title says. This has been happening for over 4 months now. Been working with Apple for more then 2 months. Spent hours on the phone with 3 maybe 4 or more high level techs. Have had on site authorized Apple tech here 3 times and still have the Memory Slot..... window show up from time to time. The on site Tech and his boss feel have spent more time and money than it i worth to fix my machine. BTW - all the sim cards have been calcolatrice online replaced twice. I feel and so does Tech and his boss it is time to have my machine replaced via my apple care. The person in Executive Customer Relations or Care Dept. does not feel this way and has been me jumping through loop after loop and I am now tired of this mess. It is now costing me time. ALL COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OR HELP would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

My device is placed alone
  • Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (48,095 points)
    If your Mac were much older, I would suspect that the button battery that maintains the parameters had gone dead. Do you, by any change, shut off the power strip at night? that can lead to premature failure.

In any case, removing and testing the button battery (BR 2032 Lithium Coin Cell) should be done. The Voltage should measure the same as a new battery (somewhere in excess of the nominal 3 Volts.)
    Beige G3, G4/867, G4/dual 1.25 MDD, MacPro'09, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, and 9.2, 10.5 and Server - LW IIg, LW 4/600, ATalk ImageWriter LQ
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.