Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting bombarded "Deliver Status Notification (Failure)" messages

I'm getting bombarded with "Deliver Status Notification (Failure)" messages from an email address I do not have in my addresses.Here's a sample:

"The following message to <kmjohnson@tmo.blackberry.net> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <kmjohnson@tmo.blackberry.net>:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table'
Reporting-MTA: dns; as05.bis.na.blackberry.com

Final-Recipient: rfc822;kmjohnson@tmo.blackberry.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [172.20.192.51]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <kmjohnson@tmo.blackberry.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table' (delivery attempts:"

Help!!

Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 5:33 PM

There's nothing you can do about it, other than creating a mail rule that automatically deletes the messages. It'll probably stop in a few days.
6 replies

Mar 12, 2010 11:27 AM in response to William Worthington

Most likely, someone used your e-mail address to send spam e-mails to several thousand addresses. It's very easy for a spammer to do this, and requires no "hacking" at all. You're getting the failure responses from all of the addresses that were invalid.

What kind of "bombardment" are you experiencing? A few dozen? Hundreds? Last time this happened to me, I received 1.7 million of those messages across five days. I created a temporary mail rule to delete them as they were received, and turned off the "Store deleted messages on the server" option.

Getting bombarded "Deliver Status Notification (Failure)" messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.