Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artwork with WAV files

Hi,

I'm a little confused as to how WAV files handle album artwork. When I click on Get Info in iTunes, the Artwork and Lyrics tabs are grayed out. I'm guessing this is because WAV files don't support them. But the confusing part is, when I click on Get Album Artwork for a WAV file, iTunes sometimes finds the artwork and adds it to the file. I don't understand how this is possible when the file doesn't support it. The annoying part is that only some of my WAV files have artwork and for the ones that don't, I can't manually add them.

Anyway, if anybody knows a work around for adding artwork to WAV files, please do shed some light. It would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel

Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz (Late 2005), Mac OS X (10.4.11), 9GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 1:03 AM

*When I click on Get Info in iTunes, the Artwork and Lyrics tabs are grayed out. I'm guessing this is because WAV files don't support them.*

Correct

*But the confusing part is, when I click on Get Album Artwork for a WAV file, iTunes sometimes finds the artwork and adds it to the file*

When iTunes adds artwork that it finds in the store for that album it stores it in an album artwork folder in your iTunes folder. The artwork is then referenced in your library to the album in question, it doesn't add it directly to the WAV file.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2010 1:03 AM in response to IlMolto

*When I click on Get Info in iTunes, the Artwork and Lyrics tabs are grayed out. I'm guessing this is because WAV files don't support them.*

Correct

*But the confusing part is, when I click on Get Album Artwork for a WAV file, iTunes sometimes finds the artwork and adds it to the file*

When iTunes adds artwork that it finds in the store for that album it stores it in an album artwork folder in your iTunes folder. The artwork is then referenced in your library to the album in question, it doesn't add it directly to the WAV file.

Mar 14, 2010 1:41 AM in response to IlMolto

*So if that's the case, why doesn't iTunes allow for artwork to be added manually?*

Because adding it manually adds it to the actual file and WAV doesn't support that functionality.

*What about MP3 files? Is artwork stored in the same fashion? Or is the artwork added directly to the file itself?*

If the artwork is added automatically from by iTunes it goes to the album artwork folder if you add it manually it is added to the file. MP3 supports adding artwork to a file.

Artwork with WAV files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.