Skip navigation

Artwork with WAV files

1667 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2013 11:06 PM by Primollie RSS
IlMolto Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 14, 2010 12:48 AM
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to how WAV files handle album artwork. When I click on Get Info in iTunes, the Artwork and Lyrics tabs are grayed out. I'm guessing this is because WAV files don't support them. But the confusing part is, when I click on Get Album Artwork for a WAV file, iTunes sometimes finds the artwork and adds it to the file. I don't understand how this is possible when the file doesn't support it. The annoying part is that only some of my WAV files have artwork and for the ones that don't, I can't manually add them.

Anyway, if anybody knows a work around for adding artwork to WAV files, please do shed some light. It would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel
Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz (Late 2005), Mac OS X (10.4.11), 9GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM
  • Zevoneer Level 9 Level 9 (52,700 points)
    Mar 14, 2010 1:03 AM (in response to IlMolto)
    *When I click on Get Info in iTunes, the Artwork and Lyrics tabs are grayed out. I'm guessing this is because WAV files don't support them.*

Correct

*But the confusing part is, when I click on Get Album Artwork for a WAV file, iTunes sometimes finds the artwork and adds it to the file*

When iTunes adds artwork that it finds in the store for that album it stores it in an album artwork folder in your iTunes folder. The artwork is then referenced in your library to the album in question, it doesn't add it directly to the WAV file.
    Mac Pro 2.26, Black MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 30GB iPod 5G, 80 GB iPod Classic, 2nd Generation iPod shuffle
  • Zevoneer Level 9 Level 9 (52,700 points)
    Mar 14, 2010 1:41 AM (in response to IlMolto)
    *So if that's the case, why doesn't iTunes allow for artwork to be added manually?*

Because adding it manually adds it to the actual file and WAV doesn't support that functionality.

*What about MP3 files? Is artwork stored in the same fashion? Or is the artwork added directly to the file itself?*

If the artwork is added automatically from by iTunes it goes to the album artwork folder if you add it manually it is added to the file. MP3 supports adding artwork to a file.
    Mac Pro 2.26, Black MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 30GB iPod 5G, 80 GB iPod Classic, 2nd Generation iPod shuffle
  • Primollie Calculating status...
    Jul 10, 2013 11:06 PM (in response to IlMolto)

You can always create an aac version by right clicking on the mouse and selecting create aac version then delete wav version of the song!

WORKS EVERY TIME!!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.