Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable built-in “Remote Management” on server for VNC access

Hello all you MAC experts, <smile>

Total MAC server noob question here,

One of the companies that I support has a MAC server running OS X version 10.4.7 and it is working fine. But there is no place to connect a monitor directly to it.

So I set up one of there spare older G5’s so I can remotely administer it over there Windows domain which is Ethernet based from within the LAN.

I have the static IP of the MAC server and I also have the administrator user name and password.

I have already downloaded and installed the latest and greatest “Server Admin Tools” onto the G5 and I can connect to the server just fine.

But all I need to do at this time is setup and configure an external USB hard drive for backup purposes on the server so what I need is a regular desktop view on the MAC server it self.

I believe what I need to know is: How do I enable the BUILT-IN “Remote Management” feature on the SERVER ITSELF using the “Server Admin Tools” on the G5 so I can use a VNC viewer on the G5 to get to a REGULAR desktop view of the MAC server.

Please correct me if I am wrong because I have intentionally made an effort to stay away from Apple/Macintosh for all these years.

I would be happy to buy someone lunch if they would please be so kind as to assist me with this and thanks in advance. <smile>

MAC server running 10.4.7 and G5 running 10.4.11, Mac OS X (10.4.7), A+ certified, MCSE, have intentionally stayed away from MAC’s for all these years.

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 5:44 AM

5 replies

Mar 14, 2010 12:46 PM in response to tekman2000

Hi

You should not have to enable it. Remote Management (VNC) is enabled by default on all OSX Server Installations. If you know the IP address of the server on your 10.5/10.6 workstation you should see it in the sidebar. Clicking on its icon should give you access to either connecting to it or Sharing its Screen. Select the Share Screen option and provide the server's admin name and password. Hopefully you should be looking at the Server's desktop.

If for some reason the facility was disabled then you should be able to re-activate it using ssh and kickstart:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2370

If for some reason this too was disabled you're going to have stick a monitor on it and manually configure the facility. System Preferences > Sharing > Apple Remote Desktop/Remote Management.

You may have serious problems administering a 10.4 Server using Server Admin Tools for 10.6:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1822

HTH?

Tony

Mar 15, 2010 11:27 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Thank you Sir Tony for the reply,

I will try that just as soon as I can get back by that customer.

I am pretty sure that “Remote Management” must be disabled because when log onto there domain using the G5 and I go to the “GO” Menu and select “Connect to Server” and I key in “vnc://192.168.100.2” (which is the EXACT IP address of the MAC server) I get a:

“Connection Failed
The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again.”

This is right on a G5 that can see all the shares on the MAC server and “Server Admin Tools” has no problem logging on.

Also I downloaded (onto one of the Windows systems in the domain) “REALVNC” and also “TIGHTVNC” and got similar failure to connect messages.

I REALLY appreciate your assistance with this. I’ll post an update just as soon as possible.

May 11, 2010 8:10 AM in response to tekman2000

Hi Tekmann2000,

If I read well, you said that the XServe runs 10.4.7. I'm affraid that 10.4 doesn't include any VNC features at all despite upper messages.

You have to install and run a VNC on the XServe and access it with a regular VNC client on the G5 (as you will do on a Wintel machine 😉 ). The remote controle service (on server) has been introduce in 10.5 version.

Portland is a little bit to far for a lunch, but the offer was really cool 🙂

Thierry

May 11, 2010 10:29 AM in response to Thierry Boufflet

Thierry

+"I'm afraid that 10.4 doesn't include any VNC features at all despite upper messages"+

I don't know why you're misunderstanding this but to say 10.4 does not include any VNC features is wrong. 10.4 and earlier included built-in capability - once enabled - for Remote Management of that workstation. In 10.4 Server that same capability is enabled by default as part of the Installation.

Tony

May 11, 2010 11:50 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry Tony you're misunstanding remote management and screen sharing. Tekman2000 question is focused on screen sharing.
If I dig in my memory, I think the first version Apple Remote Desktop rise with very first iMac 98 (not sure). VNC is not as powerfull as ARD.
VNC service arrived with 10.5, lots of links confirm that ([macinverse|http://www.macinverse.com/osx-105-screen-sharing.html], [cnet|http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10329122-263.html]). Except if you can tell me how to activate VNC services in 10.4 Server, I keep convinced that this s not included.

Message was edited by: Thierry Boufflet

Enable built-in “Remote Management” on server for VNC access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.