Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Focus Points & Canon T1i

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone with a T1i could confirm an issue for me. When I look at a photo, captured in RAW+JPEG, and go to the metadata tab and hover over the autofocus points button, Aperture 3 shows autofocus points that aren't what the camera showed when I took the photo. I noticed that in all my photos, the far right point was always highlighted, so I then took a bunch of test shots. All only show the center and/or the right autofocus point highlighted (Canon uses a 9 point diamond on this camera if you don't have one).

Is anyone else seeing the same thing? or could there be something up with my camera?

Sujal

iPhone OS 3.0

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 7:25 AM

11 replies

Mar 14, 2010 2:57 PM in response to sujal

Sujal,

Confirmed.

My XTi and Canon EF 28-135mm IS don't show any autofocus points used, but it does show the correct grid. The T1i and 10-17mm behaves the same as yours with only the right-most focus point highlighted red on all photos, even where we know that wasn't the actual focus point.

Oh well, it's not a big deal to me.

Apr 27, 2010 8:54 AM in response to sujal

Hello Sujai,

Can you please help me?

I need you to please help me to connect my T1i to My Imac 24' dual 3.06 with Aperture.

I tried connecting, but it didn't work out. The only thing that I was able to do is somehow get images in IPhoto.

I need to get the images directly into Aperture!

Would you also please answer in very simple terms and in easy-to-follow and read instructions.

Thanks and have a nice day,

(Mr.) Stacey Bindman
Montreal , Canada

Apr 27, 2010 9:59 AM in response to majortrout

Hi

1. In Aperture go to.... > Aperture > Preferences > In the dialogue box that appears, click > Import, then where it says > "when a camera is connected" make sure you have 'Aperture' selected( by clicking the drop down arrow ) not 'iphoto'
Thats why your pictures go to iphoto.. not Aperture, when you connect your camera.

The next time you connect your camera, it will open with Aperture & not with iphoto...

2. You can upload your images directly from your camera, by just connecting via the supplied usb cable..... But it's far quicker to get images into Aperture by putting the card into a card reader..

3. Dont erase your images with Aperture when you get the option... it's better to re-format the card with your camera as this re-sets the directory structure with your camera therefore preventing difficulties in the future with corrupted memory cards.

4. In Aperture go to > Help > Aperture Help > Aperture 3 user manual > Importing images.

Here you will find an excellent tutorial about importing pictures into Aperture..

Hope this helps...

Gerry...........

Apr 27, 2010 12:45 PM in response to windhoveruk

Hello Gerry,

I must be less computer-literate than I thought.

I opened up Aperture, but I can't see the menu for preferences.

I tried in 1 of Aperture's windows pressing the arrow below IMPORT,
but didn't get what you suggested.

If I could still trouble you, what am I missing?

Also, I haven't learned Aperture very much.

Thanks for you help so far,'

Stacey

Apr 27, 2010 1:51 PM in response to majortrout

Hello Gerry Again,

I figured out what you said, but I still have problems.

When I open Aperture,and press under the title "Aperture",the drop-down menu gives me "Preferences". I then restarted my Imac.

When I connect my camera, Aperture now automatically opens open.

I did what you said, and when I connect my camera, Aperture opens up, but when I try to shoot, I get a pulsating "BUSY" signal inside my viewfinder.

If I try on/off several times, I can shoot,but the photo doesn't transfer at all to Aperture.

What I have to do to see the new photos is:

1. Turn off aperture
2. Turn off camera and/or disconnect wire
3. Turn on camera again
4. Aperture automatically starts
5. My photos appear

WHere do I go from here?

Thanks again for your help,

Stacey
Montreal,Canada

Apr 27, 2010 1:52 PM in response to sujal

I'm not sure what the colors mean. In nearly all images where I controlled focus in the past, I noticed the right-most focus point is red. Sometimes both the center and right point are red.

I updated the firmware on my T1i a few weeks ago (if firmware version has anything to do with it, I'm now running v1.1.0 in the camera)

So I thought I'd take a few quick shots while controlling the focus point just to confirm this... I put an EF-S 60mm macro lens on the camera and snapped a few quick pictures of my keyboard viewed from an extreme angle with narrow DOF. Not surprisingly, the camera correctly focused on the key I selected for focus and all others are blurred.

Then I loaded the images into Aperture and here's what I found.

In all images, the focus point I manually selected with the T1i has a bold-white rectangle on it. The bold-white rectangle is consistently accurate in all images. The rectangles on all other points (not selected by me) are white but not bold -- with two images that had red rectangles (which I mention below).

In one of the images, the center point is has a red rectangle, all others are normal white, but the focus point I selected is bold white.

In one of the images, the center point and the right-most point has a red rectangle, all others are normal white, but the focus point I selected is bold white.

I had previously assumed the red rectangle indicated the focus point. But from what I can tell, the "bold white" focus rectangle indicates the point selected by the camera. But this leaves me wondering what a "red" rectangle means.

In my much older images (which would have been shot prior to the firmware update), the right-most focus point rectangle is consistently red and sometimes the center is as well.

Apr 27, 2010 2:53 PM in response to majortrout

majortrout wrote:

When I open Aperture,and press under the title "Aperture",the drop-down menu gives me "Preferences". I then restarted my Imac.

You didn't need to re-start your imac, just selecting "when a camera is connected open with" > Aperture... then closing preferences initiates Aperture to open when you connect a camera.

I'm glad Aperture now opens for you.. 🙂

I did what you said, and when I connect my camera, Aperture opens up, but when I try to shoot, I get a pulsating "BUSY" signal inside my viewfinder.

The 'busy' signal you get is the camera uploading the information to your laptop/ imac.
You also sound like you are shooting 'tethered' to your laptop/ imac....? thats a different issue from getting pictures onto your laptop from a memory card.

Stacey, it sounds a little like you may have posted on this thread as it involved using the Canon T1i camera..? And you may have thought that it would help you to get better use out of your camera, i'm just guessing but if that is so... then, without sounding rude Stacey, if you need assistance using your camera, and all it's capabilities, then you need to start more simply by just taking pictures in general with your camera, not tethered, and uploading them to your computer via a card reader to get the hang of it.

Also posting on this thread, re using your camera, is off topic for this category. This is a user to user forum for assistance with Aperture and if you do require assistance with a camera, then you need to start at the beginning of the manual, or seek help on a Canon forum such as this...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031

Here you can post questions relevant to your individual camera and actively seek advice from other users..

You can also book a one to one at your local Apple store with initial help getting started with Aperture...

Now if I am wrong and you are a pro earning mega bucks 🙂 then I apologise......

I sincerely hope this is of some help to you and wish you every success with your camera, it's an amazing camera, and if you do have any Aperture 3 related questions, then don't hesitate to come back here and myself and other users will only be too happy to help..

Best Regards......

Gerry......

Message was edited by: windhoveruk

Apr 27, 2010 8:21 PM in response to sujal

Hello Gerry,

My apologies for having posted my personal problem in the wrong category. No, I'm not an amateur, but a pro. I taught pro photography for 31 years, and now am getting back into the field. I know how to transfer images via a card. However, a recent job involving about 1700 images seemed best to try tethering.

In future I'll avoid "straying". I do appreciate all your help,as I did not get any feedback from my appropriately-placed new question.

Thanks again,

Stacey

Apr 27, 2010 10:37 PM in response to majortrout

Do a search for 'Tethering' in the discussion forums.

Tethering is only supported on specific camera models. You didn't happen to mention which model you own, but since you replied in a thread about the T1i I'm thinking you might have that camera. Tethering in Aperture doesn't work with the T1i.

You can get around this by using an Automator workflow downloadable here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/aperturehotfolder.html

You use the tethered shooting mode in the Canon EOS Utility to capture the photos to a folder and this workflow grabs any image that shows up in the folder and imports it into an Aperture project.

This gives you the functionality of tethering although the extra steps and workflow have a short delay before the image shows up.

Apr 28, 2010 12:35 AM in response to majortrout

Hi Stacey

You are welcome, the link TimCampbell1 has attached is excellent... do have a good look at it..

Here is another link re Aperture enquiries, this is a website by one of the top users on this forum and it covers all things Aperture, have a good read through it.

http://photo.rwboyer.com/

As I said earlier in my post.... do return to this forum for any future enquiries, I have always found this forum friendly and helpful....

Gerry............

Focus Points & Canon T1i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.