Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heavy Retouch Editing Really Slows Down Aperture!

I've been editing a few images in Aperture 3.0.1 that have require a significant amount of Retouch editing. Once I've reached about 70-80 Retouch edit brush strokes, Aperture starts to bog down. If I go over 100 Retouch brush strokes, Aperture REALLY starts to slow down, particularly if I try to export a file to be edited in Photoshop or NIK plugins. In fact, exporting is DRAMATICALLY slowed down, even if just exporting a 800x800 JPG. If I hit 150+ Retouch brush strokes, the Export Version function in Aperture becomes all but unusable. It can take 20-30 minutes to actually export the version! And that's just for a single image.

Once Aperture has caught up with itself, I can go and export a lightly edited image and it will happen in mere seconds. Go back to that heavily Retouched image, and export takes forever!

I sure hope the next release of Aperture resolves this issue! As best I can tell, it is directly related to RETOUCH (both Repair and Clone) and not so much the other Adjustments.

BTW, I have already shared my experience with the Aperture Team via Aperture Feedback.

Mark

32GB iPhone 3GS, Mac Pro 2.6, MB Pro 2.2, Aluminum iMac 2.4, Mini 2.0 Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 3:29 PM

1 reply

Mar 14, 2010 7:35 PM in response to Mark Booth2

I've seen this slowdown as well.

I think that, to some extent, that this is an issue that will exist with the type of application that Aperture is. It is dynamically applying your edits and rendering a final image to your eye, and if you have 150 retouches Aperture has to do a LOT of work. I mean, really, the math and calculations required are extreme. Maybe there's a magic bullet for this in how Aperture renders the output, but I don't know from the non-destructive nature whether this is possible. It could just be that I can't think of an easy way.

Heavy Retouch Editing Really Slows Down Aperture!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.