Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD's will work, CD's will not >>

When I insert a CD into the drive, it pops it back out after a minute or two of trying to load. I can't burn or play anything CD, but the DVD player works just fine.

How can I determine if this is a hardware or software issue??

-David

iMac G4 Power PC, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2005 8:00 AM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2005 1:00 PM in response to David Sanders1

If you go to the system preferences and click on "CDs and DVDs" you can select the option that you want the computer to do when something is inserted. If you change the setting to 'ignore' does the computer still pop the CD out?

It's strange that the drive can read DVDs. Perhaps the laser lens is dirty. Have you tried using a drive cleaning disk? If not, maybe you could find one and try that. I think that they are fairly inexpensive.

Nov 21, 2005 5:05 AM in response to Adam Coates

I have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions in the thread below, except for cleaning the lens. DVD's work fine, but if I insert a music CD, or blank CD the drive sounds as if it's trying to load, but after a minute or so it pops out the disk.

It does not matter what my settings are in the System Prefs/CD & DVD options...

Does this sound like a faulty drive (hardware)??

DVD's will work, CD's will not >>

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.